Rooster to lose both legs: Quality of Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BrahmaMama9 , it may turn out that Chip has too low a quality life to justify letting him continue on. For sure, sometimes death can bring a merciful ending. One thing you said in your post is that he is a "little" brahma rooster. I only caught the word "little" and not "Brahma" the first time I read it. If Chip is is fact a large fowl brahma, his size may indeed make it near impossible for him to get around. But I also focused on your words here:

From your description, he sounds pretty content right now. And he looks extremely content all snuggled in that towel.

I've lived long enough and loved and watched enough animals of various species grow old and/or terminally ill to know that they clearly tell us when they are ready to go. When the life-light leaves their eyes, I know it is time, and I have always helped them leave. But by brahmamama9's descriptions, I don't currently sense that in her Chip. It may be that others here are right and I am wrong with my advice. (Wouldn't be the first time That happened.😅) My final advice for now is, if you are willing to continue his care day-to-day, let Chip tell you if he wants to remain, or if he wants you to help him leave. Birds, other animals and humans too can surprise us with their resiliency, that's for sure.
The only reason I say little is because of his size. He is definitely a brahma. I own his full brother and they hatched the same day. They are both almost 7 months old. Chip's brother is about twice his size. I believe this is due to a combination of improper nutrition, not enough feed, and poor housing conditions.

If there's a chance, I would keep him. Animals don't dwell in the past, and live only in the present. I too have watched countless animals pass, I sadly just had one of my baby girls pass in my arms a few hours ago. The only time we ever euthanize (or cull ig) is when there is literally 0% chance of survival and they are in immense pain. Animals don't understand extreme suffering, but they are very good and adapting to unfortunate situations. If you're willing to take the time out of your day, I say #GiveChipAChance!

Another option that may satisfy both sides is a homeopathic salt called Arcsenicum Album. We've used it to help heal several of our animals, but it will also help them go if they're ready. I'd like to stress though, it won't kill them. It only helps them pass if they're ready. If you can get ahold of some, give 2 pellets of the 30cc and crush it administering it directly into his mouth. Wait at least 15min before and after to give food or water. Best of luck, and keep us updated!

What makes a chicken's life worth living? We have no clue! Legs or no he'll probably have a better life than all the caged birds in commercial operations whose suffering we regularly overlook so we can enjoy some cheap food.
That is so true. It wasn't until after I got chickens that I saw the horrifying videos of hens living in battery cages, and also the horrifying videos of spent battery hens harshly yanked out by necks and wings before being sent to slaughter. I had no idea commercial layer hens lived that way. I was so sad, because by then I knew the unique, funny, quirky, smart personalities of my own chickens. I understand that many don't connect with chickens the same way. Like others, I got chickens only for eggs. But then I fell in love with chickens.

There are obviously strongly opposing views here, and last night I did my best to step back and consider the other side's views. After doing so, I couldn't help but think back to what @BrahmaMama9 said in her very first post, that Chip's attitude is currently very good, and that she is wiling to continue caring for him.

Re advice to "do nothing" re doctoring his legs, that is generally true if frostbite is to combs or wattles. But feet are exposed to soil and poop, and frostbitten feet should be medicated with vetericyn spray, triple antibiotic ointment, etc. Soaking frostbitten feet in warm Epsom salts or hibicens is soothing and will also help draw out any chance of infection. This is why the Op's vet advised her to soak.

It is true that Chip may face obstacles that prove impossible to overcome. But none of us has a crystal ball, and bridges can be dealt with day-to-day. And besides, from what brahmamama9 said, Chip has already survived his worst days. Why euthanize him Now, and deny him the chance to know her kind and loving care? I hope that Brahmamama9 feels comfortable returning to seek medical advice, and that future replies consist of advice to help Chip overcome his handicaps for as long as his attitude is good and his will to live is strong.

A chicken that has no ability to walk and get around has the same chance for a joyful life as a human with no ability to walk. I can testify to that watching my spina bifida nephew growing up. With love, with care, any living being has the chance to live a full life.

I had a hen years ago that became gradually paralyzed due to lymphotic leucosis. We had a strong bond. It was some extra effort dealing with her needs, giving her extra help where she was lacking the ability to do it for herself. When she could no longer roost, this involved carrying her to the run from her bed in the garage each day so she could be with her flock, and supplying her with a crate to lay her eggs in that she was able to reach in her fashion. She was in a safe enclosure so she was safe from bullying, but could still derive all of the joy and comfort of being with her fellow chickens.

She eventually reached a point where she could no longer raise her head to eat or move out of her poop. By that time she had had a good life, and it was time to end the period suffering she was headed for. Once there is no more quality left, that's when I euthanize.

A rooster can have a happy life as a house pet as long as he's given the attention and interaction he needs to be content. PM me if you want to hash over ways to set things up for him to make his life enjoyable and yours easier. I love it that you've shown such concern for a fellow creature.

I've been helping a friend with her large flock this winter in the northern Midwest. We had a nasty week long storm and 2 dozen chickens died. Many have frostbite and are losing toes, feet and legs. Mind you, they do not have a proper coop or quality care, unfortunately.

I took in and bonded to a little brahma rooster whose legs had already frozen solid twice before receiving him. Despite daily Epsom salt soaks, bag balm on his legs and keeping him in deep clean shavings, both legs turned jet black. One leg has entirely fallen off, not even a stumb left. If you have ever butchered chickens, the leg fell off right where you cut the legs off (hock joint).

Despite the entire leg coming off, he is getting around better on his belly, eating and drinking and in better spirits now than prior to the days leading up to it falling off. The other leg has begun the same process and I believe it too will also fall off at the hock joint. He cannot be fitted with prosthetics due to there being no stump to attach anything to.

He is such a sweet, loving and cuddly little rooster. But I am concerned about his quality of life. Due to the extent and location of his frostbite injuries, I don't know if it is in his best interest to live his life out with no legs. I'd love to keep him and care for a special needs boy like him, but I question if that's truly the right thing to do.

Any advice?
Anyone been through something similar? Or have had a chicken to have lost both legs entirely? I want to do right by him.
i feel extremely terrible saying this but the best thing to do would be to put him down. a chicken without legs wouldn’t be able to live it’s life the way it should be lived, even if he does seem happy, it’s only a matter of time. i personally wouldn’t be able to cull a chicken myself, so the vet would probably be able to do it for you. of course, the desicion is ultimately up to you

It's a choice. If you feel you are unable to care for a disabled chicken, and the chicken is in your flock, you have the management decision to cull or take on the task of extra care.

Obviously, it boils down to why you keep chickens. Are they livestock or pets? If you keep them as pets, as a good many people do who have backyard flocks, then you may decide the disabled chicken has all the properties of a whole chicken, only minus the means of normal locomotion, and give it the extra care.

There is no shame in deciding to cull a disabled chicken if you are managing chickens as livestock. But neither should the keeper with pet chickens be shamed for keeping a disabled chicken and making a life for their pet.

There is no shame in deciding to cull a disabled chicken if you are managing chickens as livestock. But neither should the keeper with pet chickens be shamed for keeping a disabled chicken and making a life for their pet.
I agree with that. My advice was to put the bird down because for me I would never keep a bird that required that much hands on care. I do enjoy my flock but they are livestock.

It requires imagination and ingenuity to make a "normal" life for a disabled chicken. This rooster will be able to get himself to where he wants to go by using his wings to scoot across the floor or run. Where the keeper's job comes in is to find a way to protect his breast from abrasion and friction blisters and to keep him safe from bullying. There are as many ways as a smart, creative brain is capable of coming up with.

By saying another chicken keeper who wishes to find ways to help a disabled chicken have a life should cull, you're admitting you can't imagine one single way to do this. But perhaps others can. They deserve the freedom and our support to try.

By saying another chicken keeper who wishes to find ways to help a disabled chicken have a life should cull, you're admitting you can't imagine one single way to do this. But perhaps others can. They deserve the freedom and our support to try.
Of course I can imagine ways to do it but I'm not willing to do that. it also occurs to me that perhaps someone could put a lot of time and energy into caring for a handicapped bird and then discover a few months down-the-line of doing this that it's too much work and they're not willing to do it anymore, except they feel like they have to because they've already invested so much time and energy and doing it and would feel guilty stopping now.
My opinion to put the bird down is just that, my opinion. The OP will have plenty of support and advice from others who have a different opinion.

t also occurs to me that perhaps someone could put a lot of time and energy into caring for a handicapped bird and then discover a few months down-the-line of doing this that it's too much work and they're not willing to do it anymore, except they feel like they have to because they've already invested so much time and energy and doing it and would feel guilty stopping now.
That's how I get with Sia and my current ones I'm still working through cullwise. I've done everything I can and it hasn't helped them. Which makes me feel like I failed even though I was pushing a Boulder uphill from the first sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom