Rooster toe/nail injury (care advice)-nonemergent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joyze172, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    History-
    My 20 month old polish rooster 4 days ago somehow sliced off his middle toe nail and cut the same toe. I discovered it while buttoning the flock up in the evening. There was so much blood everywhere and his toe was still running (not dripping) blood.

I did emergency first aid with blood stop, iodine and neosporin. Bandaged him up and placed him in a dog crate for monitoring as I did not know how much blood he lost.
    20190112_113743.jpg

Fast forward to today-

He has been a really docile, more than usual. Normally we can catch him with some effort and once caught he just hangs out. However he has been falling asleep while doing toe cares and with petting.
    20190112_120647.jpg
    Eating,crowing and drinking as usual.

So his toe,
    20190112_115725.jpg
    20190112_114127.jpg
    -if the bandage is on he uses it like normal. However while removing the bandage, soaking it in epsom, cleaning it or just having the bandage off he pulls the leg up and favors it.

- still slight bleeding today after soaking to clean the blood stop and iodine off and change the bandage. I want to leave it open but don’t think it’s healed enough.

I don’t want him to get an infection. Am I cleaning it properly? I have searched the forum but can not find out how long to expect this type of injury to heal.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any BluKote or Betadine? I would paint the toe with either of those, and put him back out in the coop with the others since he has been out of the flock for 4 days. Is he able to walk around on his own? In my experience with a torn off toenail, my chicken limped for at least anweek, but it healed fine. If you don’t want to put him in the coop out in the open, you could put him in a dog crate inside the coop on a,clean old towel to keep his toe clean. Also place food and water in the crate.

DobieLover, Wyorp Rock and Joyze172 like this.
  3. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    I was planning to put him back out in the coop today and then his injury started bleeding again. So I covered it again.

I do have blukote and almost used it. His injury was bleeding and in the past when I applied it to an open wound it seemed to hurt/bother the area on the hens. Does it sting?

DobieLover likes this.
  4. Chick-N-Daddy

Chick-N-Daddy Songster

I had a BO chick lose a toenail somehow in the brooder. Cornstarch to stop the bleeding. BluKote (2 or 3 dabs, letting dry between), knuckle-bandage, didn't slow her down a bit.

DobieLover and Joyze172 like this.
  5. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Any instructions on how to "knuckle bandage"?

DobieLover and staceyj like this.
  6. Chick-N-Daddy

Chick-N-Daddy Songster

Step 1: Visit Amazon/walgreens/etc
    Step 2: Buy knuckle bangades
    Step 3: toe tip goes in center of square pad, fold over and wrap securely using the long sticky 'laces' like you would tie a roman sandal.

7. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    A knuckle bandage is a type of bandage.
    It’s just split and wider at the two ends so it can wrap around the fat part of the knuckle and allow for bending.

You can achieve this with a regular bandaid by using scissors to “split” the sticky ends almost to where the pad is.

DobieLover, Eggcessive and Joyze172 like this.
  8. Chick-N-Daddy

Chick-N-Daddy Songster

yuppers. Just have to be sure to not have the pad 'stubbing' against the quick, but gently nestled in it (securely).

Personally, my knuckles are magnets to all things hard and jaggy, so I have the knuckle bandages on hand in bulk.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    BluKote has a little alcohol and gentian violet, so it stings for just a second. I worry about bandaids and other small bandages in case they come off and get eaten, but you can try it. The flour will help to stop any bleeding. Duct tape would probably stay on his toe if it is dry when applied.

DobieLover, Wyorp Rock and Joyze172 like this.
  10. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Thank you for all the :goodpost:.
    He is back out with the girls. I used some vet wrap to hold the gauze on overnight and hope it stops bleeding when I clean the area soon so he can be without bandage.

Does anyone know how long i should keep checking it daily and blukote the area?

DobieLover, Wyorp Rock and Eggcessive like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: