Rooster toe/nail injury (care advice)-nonemergent

It may dry up by tomorrow if you are not going to do the soaking of his foot. You could spray the BluKote a long as you like, but I would probably stop in a day or two. Just use you own judgement.

Everyone is do awesome!!

UPDATE:
I waited a couple days and took the bandage off. His toe looked the same but noticed he was less sensitive while I cleaned it with some Cholohexidin wipes and sprayed it with blukote. We put him back in the coop and to-date he has been roaming the yard with his girls. :)

This is just from my experience’s recently with my hen. Taking off the wrap can hurt. Just the act of removing the bandage. So mine would limp more right after I took the bandage off her leg.
(Sprain/bruised ankle) for a toe I wouldn’t bandage. A good soak & dry & blue coat or antiseptic spray as mentioned (good advice)
I think IMHO is the best course of treatment. Best wishes

Update:

So for some reason he is not going up to roost with the hens at night, so I brought him in to check him out.

Looks like he lost the nail and broke a toe on the other leg (healed crooked) but sure he will manage.
20190211_121325.jpg
Poor guy.

Make sure that he does not have any frostbite on his toes due to recent freezing weather. Also I would spend some time out in the coop at roost time, to see if something else is making him not jump up to the roost.

Make sure that he does not have any frostbite on his toes due to recent freezing weather. Also I would spend some time out in the coop at roost time, to see if something else is making him not jump up to the roost.

Good idea I will watch the cameras at roost time tonight, by the time I figured it out he was roosted in the greenhouse.

I don’t typically do this but with -30 below + I brought the small flock into 1 of our heated ( only to 40 degrees) out buildings until the cold weather passed and it was above 0 ( I think it equaled 2 days). He was not going up into the coop the night before.

Just an idea why he stopped going up into the coop could be a couple of things. We were snow blowing that night and he was all worked up or/and because the closed heated circulated water system in the the coop froze and busted all the PVC. I took it out and to prevent the frozen water left in the pipe from ending up in the coop when it thawed I hung a white bucket on the end which just so happened to be above the coop door going in and out. I cut that sharp end off as close to the ice as I could.
image-20190201_170430.jpg
He is a polish rooster and I think he got spooked by it. I since removed the bucket maybe 3 days ago. But maybe he hasn’t figured that out.

His feet were cool to the touch when I placed him back in the coop today, which I was surprised since he has been in the garage that is 45 degrees all night. Eating, drinking and crowing all as usual. Its 21 above today.

Wanted to make sure it was nothing physical going on with him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom