Rooster Toe Nail ripped off

tzakrzew

Hatching
Mar 15, 2018
I have a flock of 8 free range with one of them a 1 year old rooster (leghorn I believe). I came home to find my rooster had ripped two of his toe nails off, one of which bled so bad I wrapped it for the night and will check it in the morning. I have no idea what he injured himself on but I would like to avoid any re-injury. Any thoughts as to what he could have hurt himself on? They all get along peacefully and the hens submit to him with no issues.

I had a pullet who ripped a toe nail off last year, I still don’t know how she did it. She didn’t seem bothered by it I just sprayed it with vetericyn and let her be. It bled quite a bit at first, but once it clotted she was fine and it grew back eventually. Might put some regular neosporin on it, the kind without pain relief.

Where are you from? I ask because right now, with this nicer weather here in North Dakota, the chickens are adamantly scratching at the ground which appears appears to be thawing. However, just under the soft, wet very top surface it is still quite frozen ground. Is it possible that your rooster is scratching at frozen ground?

Where are you from? I ask because right now, with this nicer weather here in North Dakota, the chickens are adamantly scratching at the ground which appears appears to be thawing. However, just under the soft, wet very top surface it is still quite frozen ground. Is it possible that your rooster is scratching at frozen ground?[/QUOTE

Saratoga NY. That is the only thing I came up with but ge snow is fairly soft.

Back
Top Bottom