Rooster Toe

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chic_a_lay, Mar 30, 2017.

1. chic_a_lay

chic_a_lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this in. But here goes...is there anything I need to be worried about from a rooster bite? My roo bit my toe and drew blood. I've kept it extremely clean, covered and used alcohol and neosporin on it. The cut has healed. It doesn't hurt, but, it's ugly. Very red, very swollen and I still can't bend it. It's been a week and I thought it would have been better by now. It's not infected. Just an ugly bruise color? I didn't think a chicken could do that much damage to a toe? Any ideas about being rooster pecked?[​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    WOW I didn't think they could bite that hard either - I hope he is in a soup pot now. I am concerned that it is swollen- bruising I ignore. Roosters probably have a lot of bacteria in their mouths(beaks). Are you sure he didn't break or cause a fracture in a toe joint? Have you kept up on tetanus boosters? I know people always used to say if a puncture wound bleeds a lot, you don't need a shot. Don't know if that's a myth or not.

I don't know what to suggest. I tend to err on the side of caution and it ends up costing $$$$$ but, usually feel relieved to have a doctor look at stuff. Hope some knowledgeable
    folks will chime in.

1 person likes this.
  3. chic_a_lay

chic_a_lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2011
    I've kept it immaculately clean. And used antibiotic cream. I think it's ok. I have some diabetic neuropathy in my toes so I can't really feel any pain. I think he hit it so hard that it bruised the bone. It's much better now. So...I think I'll survive. Not sure he will if he tries it again. He's gorgeous. It'd be a shame to cook him.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by