Rooster too aggressive?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 5SweetChicks, Nov 21, 2012.

1. 5SweetChicks

5SweetChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I have a young rooster, only a month old, who keeps attacking my other chicks. I have 3 roosters, maybe 2. But the oldest rooster is calm and does just fine with the others. But I have one that will just fly at my pullet and peck her. I saw him do it 3 times in less than 10 minutes. Should I get rid of him? He makes a lot of noise when hes separated from the rest of the chicks, but I don't want an aggressive chick. I'm not sure what to do [​IMG]

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Some cockerels are just little punks. Rarely do they get better but possibly an older roommate might help teach him some manners.

3. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I hope so. After the winter all the roosters will be separate from the hens, which we only have 2 so far but are getting more when the actual coop is finished. I don't think it should be a big problem, but it bothers me when he picks on my favorite pullet. Maybe he likes her
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Do you think a 7ft by 7ft coop will be big enough for them to have their own space? They are 1 and 1/2 months old right now and only will be in there for the winter.

4. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    How many are there? You need around 4 square feet per chicken in the coop.. So you have 7ft X 7ft = 49 sq. ft divided by 4 is around 12.25 chickens. :)

5. 5SweetChicks

Oct 28, 2012
    Michigan
    I only have 5 chickens, so I should have enough room! [​IMG]

6. Smoochie

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    :D
    Definitely!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012