Rooster Too Distracted to Eat

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by IzzyMom, Feb 13, 2013.

1. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    I have an 11 mo. old Silkie Rooster that seems to be too concerned with the hens to eat. Every time I feed, he makes sure that the hens eat, but I never see him eating more than a bite or two. They have free-range of the back-yard, but as it is winter, there isn't much there (that I can see). We've tried feeding him separately, but that seems to stress him out even more (he gets twitchy when he's away from the hens - and yes, he is our only roo).

Suggestions? Any one else have this problem?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I think he'll probably be fine. I've never seen my rooster eat more than a couple bites at a time either, and he is big and healthy.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

As long as you have feed available in their feeder all day long he'll eat what he needs. If you are feeding treats and he stands back and lets the hens eat most of it, or even "helps" you by picking it up and feeding it to the hens like mine dones, that is normal behavior for a good rooster.

4. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    Thank you! Good to know that he's being a gentleman and taking care of his "girls". And yes, they have feed available all of the time. Thanks again for the comments [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    He's being a good boy! He's showing his ladies where the food is at then watching for predators while they eat

Steele calls the girls to food

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then watches the sky while they eat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. angelbrenn

angelbrenn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013