Rooster tore a hens neck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nursechick17, Aug 28, 2010.

1. nursechick17

nursechick17 New Egg

Aug 28, 2010

I am a new chicken owner and have 10 hens and one surprise rooster that I free range in the backyard. He is about 4 months old and has been grabbing my hens and forcing them to the ground and mounting them. They often cry out and look like they are being raped. Today I found my favorite hen has torn skin on her neck and I can see the muscle underneath. I caught the rooster and put him in the coop to prevent further damage to my hen but am not sure what to do about him now. He is fairly tame but often struts around and crows when I am in the backyard with my hens. He will eat out of my hand and has shown no aggressive behavior towards me. The hen seems surprisingly fine and is eating and drinking normally. I have noticed she is spending more time alone in the backyard recently away from the other hens and the rooster.

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Clean up the wound and apply regular neosporin to it. Keep her away from the others until healed so they do not reopen the wound. As far as the rooster, he is fairly young and over excited with breeding. Clip his toenails short. If he has long spurs, trim them. Clip back the top point of his beak so it is a little shorter than the bottom, this makes it harder to grab with. Put him in with older more experienced hen/hens that don't take bullying from a roo if you have any. If not keep him penned until he learns his manners. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by