Rooster "tossing" baby chick??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hd_darcy, Jun 3, 2011.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I caught one of my roosters taking a baby chick and tossing it in the air. I was so mad that I chased it out and didn't pay much attention to the chick, I seen it scrambling to get up. Well, a bit later, I noticed a chick laying on it's side in the coop about getting trampled by it's 9 siblings. It was also the UNLUCKY chick who got stepped on a few days ago and had a scab on it's head. Anyway, I thought it was dead. It was moving it's beak very slowly and not making any sound. Completely lifeless in my hand. Amazingly, after I brought it in the house and put it in the brooder it seems to be doing okay?! So, I have two questions..how in the world did it bounce back? what was it possibly going through when it was stuck on it's side near-death?? And 2) Do roosters do this sometimes? I'm not sure if he pecked at the scab or not on the baby?? I haven't had any issues w/ the scab on the chick, and have been watching it pretty closely. However, it looked like there was a bit of fresh blood there.. so maybe that is where he pecked it - but to throw the chick like he did???

Any thoughts?? Thank you!

2. Amarisus

Amarisus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Fallbrook CA
    That sounds aweful. I dont know of anyway to help you out but at least this will put your post back at the top.

3. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    Maybe it had a concussion and was dazed, got lucky and pulled through?

I know my hen likes to toss her food around, so maybe the roo thought the scab was food and was trying to get it off or away from the chick?

4. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    A-ha.. that very well could be. The roo that did it is a very docile roo. He's not a favorite of mine just because he's scared to death of people, and he wont' let you near him. I've also never seen him fighting w/ any one, nor have I seen him breed any hens. Maybe that's exactly what happened. I do hope the chick is okay. I brought another one in the house and will keep them in here until at least tomorrow. Then, I need to do a better job of keeping my hens and babies segregated from the rest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by