Rooster Training--Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chookchick, Oct 26, 2008.

1. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I accidentally ended up with 3 cockerels out of 4 chicks. Two of them I unsuccessfully tried to find homes for, and ended up having the neighbor butcher them. (These are all mutt chickens). The last one I still have and am quite fond of, because he is a great rooster (actually 5 month old cockerel). He has been protective of my little hen from the time I got them (2 weeks old) and is very generous with the hens (I have two now). He has never shown me any aggression at all. He has not hurt the hens or over-mated them even though he is a big guy now. [​IMG]

He was not a heavy crower at first, and I was thrilled--only a couple sessions in the morning and maybe once in afternoon. The last couple of weeks he is crowing a lot more and I am worried that it is getting to be too much for my neighbor and my husband. (We live in a great neighborhood). If I could find a great home for him I would be thrilled--but I doubt that is possible. I woke up this morning with an idea that I would assert myself as the alpha rooster, and maybe he would not crow as much. This has not gone well--chasing him around the coop he injured his comb, and even though I run out there every time he crows he has not slowed down that I can tell. Gotta be a way to do this.....

So my questions: Will he possibly quiet down again as he gets older? Would getting him more hens be helpful? (Keep him occupied). Has anyone successfully trained a rooster to crow less? or should I face the inevitable sooner rather than later. [​IMG]

Here is my Big Bird and his two girls:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14648_scan0004.jpg

I'm going to give this picture posting another try.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

He is probably just realizing his crower works! He will probably quiet after a few months. Do they free range? I have notice that free range roos crow more because of predators. When they have a coop they can run inside.

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    No, he is not free-ranging. I can't do that here because of the dogs that run around the neighborhood and I don't have fencing. I hope he is just being a teenager! [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think he is just being a teenager unless you happened to get one of those roos that never stops. Mine is a good boy. He crows in the morning. He crows when he hears a raven. He crows at dusk, or when I am out there annoying him. HAHAHA

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] Mine makes all kinds of wierd noises from crowing to purring and even screaching like a little girl.

6. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I have a big dominique rooster we love to hear him crow...we wait everymorning to hear him....he dont crow alot...I would'nt mine though we live in the country and the pen is not close to the house so it is no big deal....I let him free range during the day and he loves it....I bring him bread and he will jump up and peck it out of my hand...he is amazing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by