Rooster training

luvchicks8

Songster
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
new Hampshire
Well I have mentioned my EE roo Charlie can be aggressive with the children charging and stuff like that. I had decided to rehome him but can not find a taker so I decided to put him through evil rooster training. So this is what I'm doing .

1 Every morning I carry him around to do all my chores (fyi where long sleeves for scratches)
2 I then hand him off to my oldest son to carry around for at least 20 minutes.
3 At any time he fights he gets his hackle featers tugged on (he does flap about somtimes feathers fly)
4 When he has been held with no fuss for 20-30 minutes with me I hold onto him as I begin to let him go if he comes back at me I start over if he goes off peacefully he gets to go.

I have only had to tug his hacle feathers the first two days. Other than that he has not come after any of us since.

I am not sure how accurate this is. I have heard that if you hold him by his legs upside down, it shows him that you are dominate and eventually he will stop being a butt. Again I HEARD this...so no clue how acurate it is.

Quote:
I do that to my Chickens when they are struggling or not wanting to be held ...lol It works!
They calm right down. I do not think they have a choice ...lol

And Still my Chickens love to be around me ....

I had a huge brahma rooster once that would come all the way across the yard to get me. I tried to assert dominance, but he just up'd the anty. I had to carry a broom with me everywhere. He seemed to do better if I didn't make eye contact...lol. Anyhow, he was a holy terror, so we ended up culling him. I felt so ashamed of myself afterward to realize that I was so afraid of an 8 lb chicken. He didn't look so scary plucked! Ha.

I wish I'd thought to look into training techniques. Good luck!
wink.png

Last edited:
add it --- chase him off anytime he mounts a hen ... have your kids do the same thing ---- then he will have no illusions that he is not the head roo

Sounds like you got it covered. All I can add from my own personal experience is don't use violence, kicking or shoving will only make him see you as a threat and an opponent.

Carrying him like you are, you are an unbeatable force.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I had a roo that was being aggressive to the younger hens and I started out with the holding him upside down by his legs. This used to work for my older hens when I had them. But not this time. It just made it harder to catch him. So he went to Jail. Yep, JAIL. I had a cage that was just gib enough for t chickens to roost close together and get down and eat. That was it. He was in there for a week. He is a new rooster. I had his hen in there with him for the same reason and she got out early. I guess she didn't like the discomfort of laying her eggs on the cage floor. I did take them out from time to time to see if they learned their lesson.
Oh, and did I mention. The cage was in the coop with the others that they whre being mean to. I had it set on one of the roosts and secured to the wall so it wouldn't fall. The other chickens would get on top of it and poop. Yep, They got their revenge.

I now have a peaceful coop.

I used to put a naughty hen in jail from time to time if she was getting out of line. They know who is boss of the coop. ME!!

It works, try it.

Back
Top Bottom