Rooster trouble and scary hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbeansmom, Jul 10, 2008.

1. mrbeansmom

mrbeansmom New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    I have a problem. Actually, two problems. You all were so helpful when we had a chick that had been pecked at by other chicks (who is doing just great now- thank you!) That I thought I'd ask about two other issues I'm having. Our chicks are all grown now and a few have even begun laying eggs. Unfortunately, one of our "hens" turned out to be a rooster. I really didn't want a rooster and I don't want fertile eggs so I was wondering what you do with roosters? I don't want to kill it, as almost everyone keeps telling me to do, and I couldn't kill it even if I thought that was the right solution. I actually like the guy, and I love his crow. I just don't want him around my hens and I have nowhere else to pul him. Suggestions?

My other problem is that my hens seemed to have sneaked off and watched the movie The Birds or something because they all seem to have become possessed with the idea of attacking me. Maybe they know I'm thinking of getting rid of their rooster and they want him around or something. All I know is that they used to be so sweet and now they're crazed. I have gone in to check on them in flip-flops and they have attacked my feet big time. I thought maybe they thought my veins were worms or something. Today, however, I went in and I was gently pushing one aside so I didn't step on her and she bit me HARD on the arm! Then they all seemed to get that "look" in their eye and came after me. What the heck?! I mean, we feed them well, they have a beautiful pen where they can go in and out to their heart's content, and we have told them repeatedly that we never kill chickens and they can live here in peace for the rest of their lives. We still even have one of our hens from a flock of ten we bought in 1999. I'm sure she's told them we take good care of chickens. So why are they going psycho on me? I love chickens and I have loved going back there and holding them on my lap, where they typically sit for long periods soaking up the attention. So what's with the biting? It HURTS, and now I must admit I feel somewhat intimidated by them.

2. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:can i ask why you don't want him to live with your hens? seems like if you like him, they're all getting along, and you don't want to get rid of him you should just keep him with the flock. maybe i'm missing something?

3. mrbeansmom

mrbeansmom New Egg

Apr 26, 2008
    Quote:Well, for now they're getting along, though he mates with each of them continually all day long and I can't help but wonder if they appreciate that. My s-i-l's hens got really beat up by a rooster that did that. I don't want mine to end up like hers.

Other than that, if they're truly happy, I'm happy to leave them alone except for the fact that i don't want to be eating fertile eggs.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can put saddles on the girls to save the wear and tear to their back feathers. As far as the rooster he is doing what nature has preprogrammed him to do. They are worse than bunny rabbits. [​IMG]

Is there a problem with fertile eggs? You eat them the same as any other egg. Collect them daily and put them in the fridge. There won't be any chicks.

Fertiles are are only different in that they have the potential to grow a chicken embryo. They have to be incubated - artificially or by a hen - for at least 24 - 36 for the embryoinic cell developed to begin.

Nothing you see in an egg is rooster sperm in case that is a myth you might be thinking of. A hen stores sperm in her body for 2 - 3 weeks and produces fertile eggs in that manner - no other means.

Just enjoy your chickens. You don't have anything to worry about.

5. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    Prob 1. If you can't kill there's sell but, no one will be happy if he's kept seperate.
    Prob 2. They are seeing tiny grass seed on your feet and are trying to get them . There's no harm intended, all chickens will peck at our shoes.

6. sunshineinsc

sunshineinsc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    columbia,sc
    I think our chickens snuck out together to see the 'Birds' movie!! Everytime I go in with them they stare at my feet. I had visions of them attacking me. [​IMG] none of 'em have pecked me yet maybe cause I threatened their happy home if they did. [​IMG]

7. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    Quote:really? you can eat fertile eggs, there's nothing icky in there. maybe it's just a squeamishness thing? anyway, good luck!

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You have probably eaten fertile eggs at some point in your life and didn't know it. There is NOTHING in there you can see - ie rooster sperm. It doesn't work that way.

9. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    When we got our chicks it was "straight run" so we ended up with 6 hens and 6 roos (Go Figure!) And we just got 2 more roos in with a batch of 10 Barred and PArtrige Rocks...

Since we don't want ours mating except when we want chicks, we are building a divided coop and run... they all live "together", just divided by chickenwire...
    same with the run...
    a girls door and a boys door...
    everyone gets to see each other and won't miss their friends, but our show hens won't get "Mauled" by the boys...

you can also build him a hutch out in the run-- just section off one end of the run and put his "batchelor pad" in there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by