1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Rooster trouble

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bp10244, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Bp10244

Bp10244 Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    NW Georgia
    My cockerel normally loves my dad, but today when he was putting the chickens back in the run, he started attacking him. My dad pushed him down and the cockerel just kept going at him. His beak is broken so it didn’t seem to hurt, but is he going to continue doing this? He’s done his dance in front of me and I showed him who was boss, but it seems like he’s determined to be boss. Do I need to have a nice dinner if he does it again?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sounds like. It all depends if you want to keep fighting him. A respectful rooster keeps it distance and doesn't follow you or interact except to come for treats. Fighting with a rooster often makes things worse.

3. Bp10244

Bp10244 Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    NW Georgia
    What should I do instead of pushing him off?

4. Bp10244

Bp10244 Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    NW Georgia
    Also, is it a dramatic decision to cull him? I don’t want to but if that’s the only then it is what it is.

Mimi’s 13 likes this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Usually when it reaches that point it's too late to change his behaviors. You could try various methods to make him keep his distance, at least 10 feet away. Some folks use squirt guns, water hoses, sticks. I personally would use a fishing net to scoop him up and confine him for a while. I'd do this every time he came too close.

It's always best to not get too friendly with roosters as they grow so they keep their natural wariness of you. Friendly roosters are often a problem.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would try a few techniques to see if you can change his mind first. You could also confine him too. If you eat meat, it has to come from somewhere. Eating an aggressive bird is a good ending for that bird as opposed to trying to pass him along to someone else. Fix him one way or the other.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Free Ranging Premium Member 8 Years

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You could try the method described by Beekissed if you want to give him a chance. Here it is:

Stepnout, TheTropix and sourland like this.
  8. Bp10244

Bp10244 Chirping

Apr 4, 2018
    NW Georgia
    Thank you I’ll defininitely try that!!

9. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Free Ranging

Call him for dinner. He will taste good!

10. Stayc

Stayc Crowing

May 18, 2017
    Keysville Virginia
    my roo started getting aggressive but only in the mornings. I give them a treat before I let them out and they run to that. usually he is awesome but I do have a girl sitting on eggs so maybe its that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: