rooster trouble

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kev6in, Mar 12, 2012.

1. kev6in

kev6in Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    My 5 month old silkie roo attacks my 4 yr old daughter? He flew up at her today scratching her arms, til I got there and gave him a GOOD KICK..Not to worry he's fine. Do I have to get rid of it? or is it trainable..or is it the pot?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I would never risk a child, eyes are within range even for a silkie.

Get rid of it, get a better one.

3. lincolnsilkies

lincolnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Lincoln Nebraska
    Was he attacking her or jumping up because she startled him i have a 5 month old roo that does the same thing because he gets scared and jumps up (he has a lg poof and his vision is blocked) just a thought.

4. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    You might have to invite him to dinner [​IMG] . Roosters can do a lot of damage to a child's face/eyes if given a chance.

My first rooster, many years ago, was a little Silver Spangled Hamburg. He was so pretty but would fly at me and anyone else who came into the yard. He was little so I wasn't afraid of him but after he died and I had a different rooster I found out what it's like to have a "nice" rooster.

5. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

If he's doing this at five months....I don't think I'd risk it. There are too many really nice roosters to fool around with one that is disrespectful.

That said, I (personally) am not convinced that any rooster can really be trusted with children. I have mine confined where they cannot get to people unless people enter their run.

Here is my thread from a couple of weeks ago of my "rooster trouble" https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...morning-we-had-a-little-come-to-jesus-meeting

I hope this helps. Good luck!

6. kev6in

kev6in Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2011
    a bad rooster that came good in the end , "the soup pot"

7. TonySorrento

TonySorrento Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    South Wales, New York
    Just kill and eat the sucker!

8. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Well done! You've had a good dinner.....and now you have room for a NICE rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by