rooster trouble

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by duckboy123, Apr 17, 2012.

1. duckboy123

duckboy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    clinton ohio
    i am having trouble with my rooster he is bothering everyone around and has attacked 2 people what should i do?[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

is he being kept seperate, or with the hens? Typically this time of the year his breeding instincts kick in and he is protecting his harem. Some breeds and in fact some particular roos within a breed are more posessive than others. Sorry to say that other than seperating him in a pen, he might be a candidate for the freezer or the table. Here is an idea, tho i haven't heard it tried before.......try getting a dog training electric shock collar and modifying it to fit him. then sit and observe his behavior and make corrective shocks to modify his behavior. If he is not a very valuable roo breeding wise it might be cheaper and more practical to just replace him.

1 person likes this.
  3. duckboy123

duckboy123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2012
    clinton ohio
    ok i will try that thank you very much

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    What do you mean by "bothering everyone around"? You mean the hens or people or both?

It's spring, so it's peak "season" for chickens - usually the most productive time for egg laying and a bit of sexy overdrive for the roos. If he's tearing up your girls (bald back, injuries, etc.) and attacking people, then he's probably best a dish served hot...for Sunday dinner. If he's alright with the ladies, but nasty with the people, then you can try to socialize and settle him or just go back to prepping a meal.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by