Rooster troubles

noel1asn

In the Brooder
May 2, 2015
I have a 3 month old Easter Egger Rooster who is being absolutely obnoxious. He keeps trying to mount all of my hens, including those that are only 2-3 mos old as well and my Bantam Cochin hen as well. He tries to start fights with my younger roos. Any advice how to curb his behavior? My older roosters didn't start this behavior until 5-6 mos old.

It's his way of telling you that he'll make a delicious stew.

Seriously. Aggression towards humans can be curbed by a good butt-kicking; but nothing can be done about a cockerel who is disrespectful of his pullets other than permanent separation or culling.

More room to roam. Big old hen that will thrash him and teach him manners. I would separate him before he hurts someone.

My birds free range and have enough room to break into seperate flocks with each of three roosters. They mix it up a bit, but don't draw blood. Evening they go to roost in one coop.

I have a 3 month old Easter Egger Rooster who is being absolutely obnoxious. He keeps trying to mount all of my hens, including those that are only 2-3 mos old as well and my Bantam Cochin hen as well. He tries to start fights with my younger roos. Any advice how to curb his behavior? My older roosters didn't start this behavior until 5-6 mos old.

Sounds like he is turning into a hormonal teen younger than most. If this is a cockerel you have been thinking of keeping.....what other adults do you have? Adult rooster or roosters? Adult hens? I would get him away from the younger non laying pullets and the bantam hen and if you can put him in with ADULT hens and rooster(s) if you can.
If they are free ranging at the time so much the better. You don't want a brouhaha, but he needs to be at the bottom of the pecking order for a bit and hopefully his attitude will change and his behavior will improve.
The first time I did this I tossed a young cockerel who had been penned with pullets and was obnoxious in with the free ranging adults.
Initially the adult roosters (I had several at the time.) went after him as he was acting like a jerk, but as soon as he settled down and his behavior improved they let him alone. He went on to become an excellent flock rooster.
Throwing them in with adult hens can also do the trick, if the cockerel is young enough.

He is in with a mixed aged flock and they have plenty of room (I free range during the day on an acre). My older hens routinely knock the stuffing out of him, but he is smart enough not to pick a fight with my older roos. I have been thinking of penning him up with just my Leghorn roos and see if that teaches him some manners. My husband doesn't want to get rid of him because he is one of the first chicks born here instead of bought.

If you have a bachelor pad for your roosters, I would put him in there or with the older ladies who will put him in his place but his behavior can wind up getting innocent bystanders injured or worse. If you don't plan on keeping him, maybe it's time to invite him in for dinner.

Prince Suma
8831FA80-C3E3-466F-B907-8229F890449B.jpeg

Rusty
DEED930B-9F1F-457E-9F3A-021B046B239B.jpeg

Trying to get them get along again, but it turns out they were fighting. They were both best friends when they were 1 month old, until they were seperate in 3 months for breeding. Got to put a divider between them.

Back
Top Bottom