rooster troubles

dodochick92

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
portland maine
I just got a rooster that has a very bad infection from frostbite. I have never had this problem as i have never had a rooster but i need some advice.here are some pictures of him:

I just got a rooster that has a very bad infection from frostbite. I have never had this problem as i have never had a rooster but i need some advice.here are some pictures of him:
Poor little fella. Is he eating,drinking on his own, and otherwise active? Keep him in a well ventilated coop to where the breeze won't blow on him. Make sure the coop stays dry. Use tepid water in drinkers with poultry vitamin-electrolyte probiotic powder. Vitamins,Electrolytes "Plus" is a good one at .25 tsp per gallon of water. You can give that 5 days a week to build him up. Use a little VetRX Poultry remedy on the combs and waddles. Birds with large combs are often dubbed in the coldest regions of America. I wouldn't recommend that now if he's stressed and recuperating though.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for your loss. For future reference...I've read that it is best to separate a bird with frostbite, due to the fact that the other chickens will peck at it thus causing infection to occur, spread, and/or worsen. You should also treat any areas not infected with neosporin to prevent infection from occurring.

Back
Top Bottom