Rooster trying to kill hen

Overthehill

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Last spring I had a leghorn hen with nine chicks. A mink got in the cage and killed all the chicks. She must have put up a big fight. She lost part of her beak and a toe. I nursed her back to health, reintroduced her to the flock. Everyone but the roo is fine with her. Since this time he does not mate, but jumps on her and pecks her comb. When she was molting he left her alone. Now she is laying again and he has begun to attack her. I caught him in the act one day and switched him. Several days ago her comb had dried blood around it. I put her in the pen with the young roo and pullets. She wanted to go back to her friends so I put her back in that pen. They free range half the day. Last evening when I went to put them in her comb was ripped almost off and she had blood all over her head. I was ready to get the shotgun, but really need two roos. What is going on? What should I do?

If you plan on keeping both roosters, put her in the flock with the young rooster and pullets. For some reason the original flock rooster has rejected her, and may even kill her.

Overthehill, that's where I am
old.gif

Thanks. I did that last week but she was so unhappy. She wanted to get back with her girlfriends. At this point the mean roo is outside the pen and the girls are in. No free ranging this afternoon. The other pen is out. Another concern, part of her comb is dangling. I don't know whether to cut it off or not. She is my best layer and so sweet. Unbelievably the other hens are not bothering her.

Unless the others are pecking at her comb, I would let it heal on it's own. Would it be possible to put the aggressive rooster with the pullets and the cockerel with the mature flock?

If he continues his aggressive behavior in the pullet flock, I would not hesitate to cull him. Good luck. Hopefully things will work out for the best.

If the Hen is injured and bleeding. All of the them will peck at the blood. She must be completely healed before putting her back with any flock. Or they will cause her injury to get worse or even kill her. Try switching the roosters around when you get her healed. Or fry the older one up and get another rooster.

She was badly injured and bleeding, but since it was her comb they did not seem to notice. I have watched but they do not seem to notice.

Back
Top Bottom