Rooster Twins

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WayWay, Mar 1, 2017.

1. WayWay

WayWay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Hello,
    So just today we went to pick up baby chicks, and this is the first year we decided to get a rooster. But the chick provider gave us 2 males, and said that they always provide an extra rooster. So if they both grow up into roosters, will they cause problems and fight? Or will they get along?
    Thanks

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It really depends on the rooster.

Usually with enough psace,and enough hens,you can keep two,but,keep in mind,there are some roosters who cannot tolerate another roostet,thats just the way some are.

They may fight off on in,especially in their teenager months.I have also noticed lots more fighting in older roosters when spring time arises.

A lot of time people who have roosters who grow up together tend to have less problems.Mainly because they have established an pecking order.

But,dont expect them to be the best of friends,be prepared for the worst.

Also,did you ask them fir a second or did they just enforce it in you and purposely gave you an extra?

3. WayWay

Jul 23, 2015
    I guess it's their policy to provide an extra rooster in case there was an error while determining their breed. Also they are both Buff orpingtons, which are usually pretty nice in general.

4. WayWay

Jul 23, 2015
    i mean gender, not breed

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The more important questions are how many females do you have, and how much space? Are they free range or confined? If confined, how large is the coop and run? If these are baby chicks how are the sellers sexing them? Or are they reselling hatchery chicks?

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have had Buffs.I only have one elft,the hens are mean.My first rooster was a failure.He was not human aggressive,but he just sucked at caring for his girls.

7. WayWay

Jul 23, 2015
    I'll give them a few weeks and if things get bad I'll cross that bridge when I get there

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It will likely take months before you know how it's going to go. My advice would be to not get too attached to either of them at this time, so if one needs to go it's not quite so hard.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by