Rooster Type

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smherald, Feb 13, 2017.

1. smherald

smherald New Egg

Feb 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

Hi everyone, I am a new member. This rooster was dropped off at my property during the day, so I just put him in with my chickens. That was almost a year ago. I am wondering what type of rooster he is. Thanks everyone.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Really striking rooster, looks to be a mix of breeds. You can get other opinions by posting the photo at "what breed or gender is this?" type that in the search box above, and it will come up for you. Thanks for joining us at Backyard chickens

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! I agree - looks like a mix. Best wishes! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C Happy T-Day! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

He's a good looking guy, hope he'll be a gentleman with the ladies. Just a gentle word of caution, before you add any new birds to your existing flock, you should keep the new bird isolated for 3-4 weeks...that will give you a chance to find out if the new bird is sick or has pests such as mites. You sure wouldn't want your existing flock to be adversely affected.

Best of luck to you!

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and my warmest welcome to the flock! I am quite pleased you decided to join us, please pull up a chair and make yourself at home here! I hope you enjoy it here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under smherald [​IMG] Welcome!

He is a very handsome little man! I would also say he is a mix but the folks on the link CTKen has given you might be able to narrow it down to a mix of what.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Striking boy you have there! As mentioned above, he does appear to be a mix - if you do decide to post in the breed/gender forum I'd suggest taking a couple more photos -- try to get them outside in natural lighting. Being able to see things such as leg color and plumage pattern clearly are key in sorting out potential breeds/mixes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by