Rooster Unable to "Hit the Mark"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GreenVariety, Mar 1, 2012.

1. GreenVariety

GreenVariety New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I have a male (supposed to be a female, paid for a female) Americana. He's going to be a year old in June. I have searched the archives and haven't been able to find anything similar to my situation. Has anyone ever had a rooster who literally can't physically seem to mate with hens. He's got something like 20 girls between him and my buff and he tortures the girls because he gets on, misses, gets off and attempts to do it again. None of them can stand him. He drives me batty because he just chases the girls all day and is agressive. I have one buff that will not come out of the coop anymore! Can I help him (he's not easy to get hold of)? Or is he perhaps just never going to succeed at this mating thing?

Thank You!
    Wysteria

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    How do you know he's missing the target? All eggs infertile or...?

20 hens and still is obnoxious.. would say that is a lousy rooster if he really is a year old or older. I have roosters with anywhere from 2 to 12 hens and they court them, and only mate if a hen willingly squats.

edited- just noticed he will be year old in June. He is still young. He seems on obnoxious side, what with having 20 hens.. some roosters are hormonal messes until they hit year old then they mellow out. Hope he is one of those sorts. If he's really bad, just separate him from the hens for a while so he will mature some more. Reintroduce him when the hens are laying well and showing signs of wanting to mate- squatting for you or if they see the rooster. Young roosters learn better and faster if hens are more than willing.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Kev gives a good recommendation. I would separate him from the hens until he matures and they are in full production. Reintroduce, and if after a week or so his antics continue - off with his head.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yep agreed, if he continues those bad habits, cull him.

5. GreenVariety

GreenVariety New Egg

Aug 20, 2009
    I have watched and watched and watched. He never seems to achieve a kiss. It's amazing really. At first I just thought he was un-coordinated. But he tortures the girls. Gets off because he can't seem to achieve what his biology is telling him he should be achieving and starts courting again immediately. The girls just run but my one poor buff, she just sits and takes it and hides in the coop most days. Most of the eggs I crack appear to be but my buff Orpington rooster is quite a gentleman and always has been and I see him with most of the girls at one point or another. My girls also shake and have a "dust" cloud fly off of them when "Roo," my buff, mates with them. This never happens with the Americana (while I'm observing).

I am wondering if there is something "off" about him? He was sexed as a female? I know mistakes are made but I'm honestly wondering if it's physiological.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by