1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster unable to stand - toes and feet up to first joint don't move

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by terrifictoby, Sep 7, 2008.

1. terrifictoby

terrifictoby New Egg

May 11, 2008
    :(Yesterday, my husband went to feed the chickens and found our only Rooster, a Silver Laced Wyndot, sitting on the ground and all the other chickens were just walking over him. We brought him into the house and checked his legs. His feet up to his first leg joint don't move. He eats and drinks fine, no problem there. He tries to stand up and his butt goes in the air and his head goes to the ground. I have looked and can't see an injury but I really don't know what to look for. It looks to me like his feet are paralyzed. His toes are limp and don't move. His wings flap as he tries to fly so they seem fiine. He is our only rooster among 11 females. What should we do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.I asked my husband if the rooster had shown any signs of problems and he said yes for a few days. He thought that the guinea males were picking on him because they are kind of mean to the other chickens.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    if this was sudden with no limping before hand it could be an injury of some sort or a toxin. I suggest you separate him and ensure he has water and feed easily within reach and watch for further symptoms. Without knowing more details of his environment etc. I cannot guess more than this.

3. wc_tophat

wc_tophat Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    kansas
    Is he sitting on his elbows? like are both feet out in front of him? I had a rooster who was bit by a baby copperhead (we saw it hanging from his wattle) and he had symptoms like this. We hand fed him , and did get to the point that he could walk by himself. But he was never the same and he died after a year. The symptoms can also point to Merricks I would sepperate him and see what happens. Hope he gets better

4. terrifictoby

terrifictoby New Egg

May 11, 2008
    It has been 10 days and we have kept our rooster isolated from the other birds. I have kept him in the house in a big plastic box with wheatstraw. He eats and drinks fine, there are no signs of sickness, no growths or anything like that. One leg is starting to move a little but the other is still very limp. Both are not reacting from the joint to the feet, but he can push up from his body to the first joints. No other bird is showing signs of problems. He keeps trying to stand up and scoots all around the box. I still don't know what is wrong with him. Does anyone have any idea what I can give him or if anything can help him. I don't even know how long to keep him to see if he gets better. He sure has a hearty appetite. Thanks for any help.

5. 7mosi10

7mosi10 New Egg

Jul 3, 2010
    my rooster has the same symtoms his fingers up to the juncture with the feathered part are all limp my suspicion is he might of eaten some nightshade/belladonna which is known to cause paralysis in the lower extremities there is an antidote but i dont know where to get any if you do let me know

6. I recently had a roo do the same thing. He could not walk, but ate and drank and pooped just fine.

I isolated him and it took a really long time. almost 8 weeks before he showed any improvement.s

After about three months of TLC he is out running and free ranging with the best of them.

I do not know if it was Merek's, a biotoxin or a nuerological problem, but it did pass.

I would not have put this kind of time into him, but he is a pure breed red jungle fowl and I am down to three true to the breed
    birds.

Hopefully , momma hen is raising a fourth, but I will not know for some time.

Hope this helps.

G.G.

7. terrifictoby

terrifictoby New Egg

May 11, 2008
    I wanted to thank everyone for information concerning my rooster. I gave my rooster olive leaf drops in his water and he did just fine. The only problem was, I forgot to keep moving his legs to keep the joints from locking up. He did hop around some but he was lonely because I couldn't put him in with the other chickens. They would pick on him. I should have keep doing a little physical therapy on his legs everyday to keep those joints moving and he might have been able to walk. He was eventually able to flex his toes and grasp but those main joins were downright locked. He was such a sweet thing. I am still not sure what he had. No other chicken showed signs like him. They all were fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by