Rooster unable to walk.. Crawls on legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheSheriffswife, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY

Wondering if anyone has any ideas what may be wrong with my boy Popeye.. Sometime last week he was running thru the yard (while being chased by my nasty hen) She chased him into the coop and when I got there she was on him and pecking at him..I picked him up and put him outside and I noted he was standing funny on one leg..So I brought him in the brooder inside and he progressivly seemed worse not standing at all..And now he basically just crawls around.. He is eating, drinking crowing..Luckily he is very tame and I can handle him and care for him special. So I have him inside and am trying Vitamins, lots of protein etc.. Would appreciate any ideas? I have posted a video. Thanks in advance!

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Might be the start of wry neck. Vitamins are good, add minerals and spilt open caps of vitamin E and squeeze into his mouth. Good luck , Deb

3. TheSheriffswife

TheSheriffswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    Baldwinsville NY
    Thanks for the tips..I will monitor for that. It's just that he was perfectly fine before the hen was chasing him..and then after she had him pinned this all started. He was trying to run/fly and after that he was having trouble standing on the one leg..the after a day it was both..

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I would guess that she pecked his spine and injured him? I'd go with the vitamins and large amounts of protein to see if it helps. I don't think there's much else you can do. She's mean!

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    When chickens start to act odd, others will attack them. Hope you have him separated. Did you try the vitamin e caps?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by