Rooster unable to walk :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Rhiee, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Rhiee

Rhiee New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    Hello, I have a white rooster, almost 2 years old. He suffered from heat stroke 2 weeks ago. We just saw him laying on the ground and we immediately gave him water and bathe him, which made him a bit better. He actually kept trying to stand up but he was swaying so we just let him sit back down. I gave him water with salt and sugar for electrolytes, banana and force fed him with pellets because he won't eat but drank huge amounts of water. Right now, he's eating (gave him scrambled eggs with tomato sauce today) but not as much as before and still not walking at all nor standing up. He moves using his wings. When I lift him up for a bit of physiotherapy, his toes are spread apart. I think he can move his feet but barely. We noticed he's losing weight, he had huge legs before now its smaller :( He doesn't crow any more but still make sounds, and louder when the hen is laying an egg. His tail is also down. His poop is okay now, solid green with white streaks~ before it was diarrhoea white and dark green (because I think of too much water). No discharge from eyes, nose or beak. He was aggressive before that he'll even chase me, now he's so tame that I can even touch him, except for the flies around him. What should I do? We also thought that he might be paralysed because of the stroke but I'm not sure. Thanks :)

2. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I’m not convinced he had heat stroke. My roo that had Mereks drank water like there was no tomorrow but didn’t want to touch food. If he had diarreah, he’d also be drinking more to keep hydrated. If it’s Mereks, its really a game to wait and see for as long as you feel is humane. Some recover, most don’t after becoming paralyzed. Mereks can come with many or no symptoms at all and can take a bird quickly. It has the symptoms of every other chicken illness out there, but shares Paralysis with only a few conditions birds tend to get.

The only way to really know is a necropsy after the fact. I wish you all the best.

3. etammy

etammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree it may well be Merke's disease. But I have had hens come back from not being able to walk by giving them vitamin B12 in their water for two weeks everyother day. She is still alive three years later, but I lost three to the Merke's too. Try to get him to eat, give some treats, put electrolyte solution in the water too.

4. Sweetened

Sweetened Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    B12! In liquid form? How do you give this to them.

I'd be interested in giving them the opportunity to recover from the paralysis. Do you have a bit more details on this?

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    you can get it in liquid form but it is like 11 bucks. You can get B12 in powered pill. Pull pills apart and dissolve in water, like a quarter of the powder in a large bowl of water. I give my hens B12 once a month. I take it gives me energy. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by