Rooster Uproar

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by columbiacritter, Jun 21, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Yesterday we picked up a nice little group of Kentucky Specks, 3 hens and a roo. When we got them home yesterday the roo crowed once and my Japanese Gray roo looked like he was about to explode! He puffed up to twice his normal size and crowed as hard and loud as I've ever seen him. He let out about three of his roars and didn't get a reply from the Speck so he tromped around full of himself.

This morning the Speck started crowing about 5:30, nice mellow crows. I made it out about 6 to let the Japanese out of thier coop and my Gray shot out enraged and ready for battle. Wings out, ruff up he made laps around their run swearing a blue streak, stopping every few steps to roar back his challenge to the Speck. I speak a little chicken so I didn't need a translator to know what the Jap was saying, "Where is that SOB?! Where is he?! I'll kick his *ss!"

I tried not to laugh to hard, but the guys not much bigger than a grapefruit with a head so it was really hiarious to watch him get all his testosterone going.

The Japanese hens were still crowded in the coop door looking out unwillign to risk being in a battle when I had to go to work. The roos will likely only ever catch glimpses of each as neither group will be allowed to free range and the Specks are in 2 month quarantine for now.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] thats hilarious is right!! I can just picture that scenario going on! I know how small the Japanese are, I've got a little black tailed buff hen, and I just love her! Have fun, sounds quite entertaining. [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww too cute! I have two "mighty little Brabanter roosters" and they are so funny! They puff up and strut around, but they're the sweetest things.....too funny!

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:The fact the Jap has the real short legs so he's basically on the ground makes it even funnier to watch. His name is Armando, but I was thinking this morning I should have named him Napoleon.

5. AJ666

AJ666 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    La Crosse, WI
    HAHAHAHA I can just picture this! My neighbor has a little Japanese roo and she just got an EE roo. Goldie (the Japanese) did the same this ur little guy did he puffed up twice his size and crowed incredibly loud... hurt my ears. But now the EE, who she has named Bob, is the dominant roo of the yard. Goldies been pushed down to the bottom [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Reminds me of when I had Old English Rosecombs. They were a hoot! The hens were always busy with their henly duties but the roosters were sooooo funny! Tiny little bodies strutting around. That squeaky crow that sounded like a bike wheel gone bad! My husband had a 69 Mustang Fastback that had shiny chrome mag wheels. The roosters would see themselves and get all worked up. Even funnier to see them get all worked up over a 'normal' sized hen. Do all that strutting and crowing. Dragging the wings to show how tough they were. Try to mount the hen only to get knocked back by a casual wing flap. Just too funny!

7. VelvetDragon

VelvetDragon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    Portland Metro Area, OR
    It's always the little guys. *lol*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by