Rooster very MEAN to hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigspringshatchery, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have a Dominique rooster that I raised. He's never really been with hens bc he is the only Dom I got and didn't wanna cross my rir with him. Well today I put him in with a br hen I got from a guy couple weeks ago and it was war. I'm not sure if he was tryin to mate and she wouldn't let him or what. But she wasn't backing down. They both were pecking and holding on at waddles and combs. Both the hen and the rooster was bleeding pretty good. I know she's not aggressive bc she was just with another rooster. What can I do to break him of this? Camp freezer or will he learn how to treat hens? He has been crowing for maybe 2 months. No spurs yet or anything. He's getting aggressive bc Monday I went to change his water and he peck my hand and wouldn't let go and let two marks that on my hand. So is there any helping him bc he is a beautiful rooster.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Too many nice ones to keep an ornery one. JMO

3. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Dont worry they are just trying to figure out the pecking order. Try not to intervene unless theres blood shed. Shouldmellow out in a couple of days.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Personally, he'd be toast (dinner...or maybe just rehomed, depending) if that happened here, as my girls come first with me. Since he's young, it could just be horrible hormones that he might outgrow months down the road. So if you could pen him separately???
    Also, some hens just won't submit to certain roosters...maybe they don't think they're up to par, or maybe it's chicken chemistry [​IMG]
    However, going after YOUR hand is BAD. I've seen some good pages on "rehabilitating" aggressive roosters, but it doesn't always work. Do a search on "aggressive rooster" and I'm sure you'll find a ton.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Ummm...there WAS bloodshed [​IMG]

6. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Ummm...there WAS bloodshed [​IMG]

Yep both were bleeding so I had to break it up. The hen just stood there after I removed him. So I picked her up and held her for a bit and she calmed down.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  7. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I would separate and get them healed up.

Is that the only hen you are going to put him with? If so....better get some more. I just intergrated five new ones with my BR roo. He is six months and the alpha roo in the main flock beat him up and I removed him. So, he has been by himself for over six weeks. I got five girls....three pullets and two hens. They were put in with him this week.....he nailed the first hen before she took her second step and the other one shortly after. The pullets are not old enough and after one attempt he has left them alone. I expected ANYTHING to happen but so far have been pleased. One hen is a little mean to the pullets but they dodge her quickly. They ALL went into a new coop the same day. So they were all a little messed up. Three days later they seem to be settling in.

But, had there been a fight I was ready. I had a large dog crate in the pen....and it is still there for just in case, and I was prepared to pull anyone that got mean enough to warrent it.

I would think they both need some time out to heal up....then some time close but not where they can get together. I put a piece of chicken wire up for five days to divide the pen before taking it down. They could see each other but could not fight. I think it helped.

Good luck....

8. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm not going to let them breed to sell. I just need te pen he is in to move other chickens in till I can build some more. I gotta get him some Dominique hens at a later time if he calms down. I'll prolly try to separate then with chicken wife for a couple days and see how that's goes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by