Rooster visitor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My neighbor and I both free range our chickens. Mine are watched. They don't get allowed out unless some one is home to check on them. And I keep them in a safe area by herding them back if they stray too far.

I have one teen age roo. And a couple of my 5 week olds may be roos.

My neighbor has 9 chickens and four of them are roos. They have been raised mostly together, but they are not siblings. One roo had more or less taken over when she added a larger and older roo who immediately took control of the flock. There was much fighting, but no bloodshed.

But NOW, the tossed out roo keeps wandering over to my place! I think he's looking for another flock to take over. He's wandering pretty far to get here. I don't think he knew there were chickens here until my stupid roo went and learned how to crow! [​IMG]

So he's announcing his own dominance and calling all roos to fight him! Other than perpetually shooing this roo away, is there any way to resolve this little chicken Power Play??

(No neighbor won't keep him locked up, I've asked. She says sure and then the next day there he is again.) [​IMG]

2. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sounds like a good candidate for Chicken stew! [​IMG] If she doesn't care where they end up, she'll probably never miss him! Something is going to eat him...might as well be you! [​IMG]

Shelly

3. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    I would give her one more chance to wrangle up the Roo [​IMG] ,,,, if it doesn't work, and she won't take care of him, then their is no choice. You must protect your flock on your property. This is hard but 'Off With His Head',,,,,, [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    go over and tell her that under no circumstances should her roo be allowed to be near your chickens for bio-security reasons. use the nicest, firmest words possible.

it isn't just his aggressive behavior that is the issue, it's the sicknesses that could be spread.

usually, the idea of sickness will curt these types of issues.

also, call the animal control and make formal reports. it's imperative in the end to have a paper trail.

best and hope it works out as you are neighbors.

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    DH tends the flock sometimes with a fishing pole - just the pole, it has no reel or brackets or anything, it's just carved wood. He uses it to scoot them gently along to go to bed or get out of the garden etc. Well, the other morning neighbor roo came over and DH yelled at it and tried to scare it back home and the roo puffed up and hissed at him! Dh took the rod and used it like a golf club! Whacka! He swatted the roo on the bottom!

Not to worry roo is fine!! He took off with great screeching and cackling and landed a few yards away and ran! He's fine, but he's decided that there is a really BIG roo over here he might not bother!!

Not the plan I would have chosen - but effective!

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I wonder if the garden hose would help [​IMG]

7. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    If you don't have a dog, borrow one.
    [​IMG]

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I once had a roo show up in my yard. I had no idea where he came from. Not from any close by neighbors. So, they can wander quite far, like dogs and cats do. Since I could not find who he belonged to, one of the closer neighbors, who also had chickens, took him in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by