Rooster Vs. Hens... what to do with roos???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fancie, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Okay larger combs are males? right? I have cochins and a d'uccle ? that are about 8 weeks old.... can anyone send some pics this way so I can judge males vs. Females.

What do you do with the extra roos??? They are all bantams... do you raise them for meat?? or cull them as soon as you know.... I am sure near no one wants roos..
  2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    our neighbors used to butcher the roos when they were a couple of months old.. made real neat individual servings on the plate..
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Actually around here some people do want roos. I posted signs about my extra baby roos at the post office and library branch. Got lots of calls. All three boys went to live with a lady that has 80 hens, but never had any roos. She decided that she wanted fertilized eggs to hatch.
    Some of the old folks around here keep roos but no hens. They grew up with rooster "alarm clocks" and enjoy the sound.
  4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Put them on Freecycle or give them to the zoo for gator bait.
  5. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I posted mine on craigslist and had them snapped up within a day. Worked out great and they ended up at good homes. Got so quiet in the brooder I can hear my girls saying WTH mom??? They look at me all confused.
  6. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I haven't been able to get rid of my roos around here. I've tried craigslist but no one seems to want them. I found out that there's a livestock auction about 30 minutes from my house and they said they always sell everything so I'm going to take them all there. I have 5 roos that are going in on Monday. It was such a relief for me to find somewhere to take them since I can not have any here in town. One of them is starting to crow and I was getting afraid the neighbors were going to turn me in. I guess the auction house takes 30% of what they sell for, but I don't care. I'm just glad someone's going to take them for me.
  7. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Well if nothing else, an 8 week old bird will be delicious even if it's small...

You can always skin them and use the meat for stir fry or whatever if the whole plucking business is too much hassle.
  8. azrc

azrc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    What's for dinner?
  9. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I, too, had good luck posting my roos last year on Craigslist. I posted them for free, but the man who came and got them still gave me a few bucks for them anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by