1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rooster vs, rooster

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Campine, May 9, 2013.

1. Campine

Campine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    I've got about a half dozen roosters. They occasionally fight of course, but had something surprising happen last week.
    One of my campine roosters (maybe 4lbs.) took on one of the buff brahma roosters (about 12 lbs). Who do you think won?................

Campines have very sharp slender spurs, the campine landed a blow to the head with a spur and killed the brahma. I think it went straight into his brain, had a hole that looked like he was shot by a 22.

That brahma was kind of a jerk anyways..

2. Alexandra317

Alexandra317 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    King George, VA
    Dinner?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It's not the size of the rooster in the fight, rather the size of the fight in the rooster that can lead to victory.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    From my observations with natural spurs, the deep penetration you describe on head is unusual. Most such injuries are more of a shallow scratch that do hurt. With a larger bird, especially with one that is unusually heavy and well feathered, loss can be a function of heat exhaustion as well. Death from such is rapid and bird's head often turns blue just before failure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by