1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

rooster wakes up on the wrong side of the bed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scarletbaby, Aug 29, 2010.

1. scarletbaby

scarletbaby In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    Every morning my rooster seems to wake up in a really bad mood. He chases and pecks our 2 month old baby chicks around the yard and harasses the dogs with his drunken chicken dance. Actually anyone who is around him when he first wakes up gets the drunk chicken dance done to them. He gets really vicious sometimes and after the first 5 mins or so he stops and he is his regular nice self. Do roosters normally do this when they first get out of the coup or is he just PMSing every morning? What do you guys think?

2. prancie

prancie Songster

May 29, 2009
    Alabama
    mine does. first thing he does when let out of the coop is to try and chase downone of his girls to, um....do it. and he's not nice about it like he is later in the day. he also peck at and shoos off all of the lower status adolecsent chickens too

3. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Songster

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Haha. I'm not sure what is normal, but my Serama roo is always bratty. When my chickens stay in the house, they crow (somewhat of a crow) at 4:30 am, then we both wake up on the wrong side of the bed.

I have a serama pair, silkie roo, and 7 teenage silkies staying in one coop and they all get along really well. Sometimes the serama roo is on patrol, but it's at random times. I think it just depends on the roo or even the breed. (cause the silkie never does anything but peck the teenagers when they annoy him, like when they try and cuddle haha)

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

First thing out of the coop, every morning, every single rooster wants "some" before he even gets a mouthful of feed or water. Or even any treats. Sex IS his morning due, not just "treat." He is King of the Coop.

Mine chase down whatever lady they can catch and mount. Before THEY even get their first cup of coffee! Jeez, boys, let 'em have a sip first. My main rooster used to come out first, then tag every gal he could as they exited the coop. Because chicken sex acts are so brief, he could get about every third gal coming down that ramp. He has since settled down to just tagging one.... but I have three adolescent roosters who are smack dab in the middle of the horndog phase.

The pecking of the youngsters is mostly to get them out of their ways as they hunt down the girls.

5. scarletbaby

scarletbaby In the Brooder

May 23, 2010
    hahaha i guess my little roo is going to have to wait then. My 2 month olds are all we have right now so he hasnt gotten any real action yet, poor thing. That is so interesting tho i would have never guessed, he just looks like he is being really mean. I wonder why they are like that only in the morning.... Anyways, thanks for the help and the funny posts made my day. [​IMG]

6. CrazyAnimalGirl

CrazyAnimalGirl Songster

Jul 28, 2010
    West of Atl, Ga
    Quote:[​IMG]

....Males....

7. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Quote:[​IMG] ^^^ ...Guys... ^^^ [​IMG]

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Hormone levels appear to rise in most animals in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: