Rooster waking me up at 2am till 7am

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jasminejs, Jan 4, 2014.

1. jasminejs

jasminejs New Egg

Jan 4, 2014
    Hello, I am a teenager and I go to college everyday. I live in leicester UK. I am having trouble to sleep as my neighbour has a rooster that everyday wakes me up at 2 till 7! Every hour sometimes every 45 minutes. I am really fed up as it ruins my sleep and then am really tired in the morning and grumpy! I've tried and also my dad tried talking to our neighbour but they said they are going to take the rooster back to the farm but then they didn't !!! Out neighbour has more than one rooster and he also has hens and ducks. ( this is not a farm)! Please help me on what to do or I'll go insane :('

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Buy a fan it muffels out the sound[​IMG]

3. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Either ask him again or ask him to build a rooster box.
    Are there laws where you are against them?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

I have heard that if you keep him in a cage or area that has a really high roost. One that he can not stand completely up or get down on the floor much, it will keep him from crowing. Roosters need to stand completely up to crow and if he can't extend his entire body upward, he may not be able to crow all night long. In the morning, let him out so he can go back to crowing. LOL

Good luck with your roo, and enjoy BYC!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  5. [​IMG]
    I am just going to take the rooster's owners side, because I am against re-homing them. Because usually when they say "re-homing a rooster" it actually means re-home the rooster then the new people will kill it. Try earplugs. And think about the rooster.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

If roosters are legal where you live, you likely have little recourse, and should try some of the suggestions for masking the noise. If they are not, make it clear to your neighbor that you will proceed with a complaint to the authorities - then do it.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have a rooster who sleeps just about two meters or a little over six feet out side my bedroom window and he crows all night long and the reason he crows is because he can see light and because that is part of being a rooster, the funny part I never hear a thing but some people who live down the road who have dogs can hear the rooster but yet can not hear there own dogs funny how that works [​IMG]

If you can't sleep and you are young then you need to do something physical like walking or maybe go to the GYM for several hours a day I can still remember when I was young and I would run 5 miles a day at least and I hadn't much problem sleeping anywhere in bed or on the ground, and going to college you should be brain tired I know I sure was .....

I sure hope for your sake your government doesn't call you to service as this would be a rude awakening for ya .........

gander007[​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Buy him and eat him. Sweet revenge it would be. Welcome to BYC.

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! You've received some good suggestions here, good luck to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by