Rooster walking funny

HorseGirlAbby

🌷 Welcome spring! 🌷
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
May 14, 2021
Eastern WA
Hi, my year old Ameraucana rooster has been walking funny all day (it's 8:41 pm). He's not limping, it's like he can't balance right. He's also panting a lot, more than his hens, which is sort of normal, as he's bigger. He's never done this before, but seems normal otherwise. He grooms himself, makes the food call, and watches for hawks. I can't post a video, because they're starting to get on the roost for the night. Please help!

Hi, my year old Ameraucana rooster has been walking funny all day (it's 8:41 pm). He's not limping, it's like he can't balance right. He's also panting a lot, more than his hens, which is sort of normal, as he's bigger. He's never done this before, but seems normal otherwise. He grooms himself, makes the food call, and watches for hawks. I can't post a video, because they're starting to get on the roost for the night. Please help!
It would be good to get a video. Upload to youtube and provide a link.

What's your temperatures like?

I would gather him up and examine him. See that his crop is emptying, that there's no lice/mites, the vent is clean and free of poop.

Get some fluids into him. Electrolytes for a few hours, then fresh cool water.

Photos of poop would be good too.

Ok, so this is weird. He's completely normal now, except still panting excessively. It's almost 90° here. His crop is as normal as I can tell without picking him up. He got on the roost fine last night, it's about three feet off the ground. His poop is normal, and I don't think he has any lice or mites. Do you have any idea of what caused this? Could it happen again?

Ok, so this is weird. He's completely normal now, except still panting excessively. It's almost 90° here. His crop is as normal as I can tell without picking him up. He got on the roost fine last night, it's about three feet off the ground. His poop is normal, and I don't think he has any lice or mites. Do you have any idea of what caused this? Could it happen again?
I have no idea what's going on with him. You will have to physically examine him. Wait until he's roosting and it's cool to get him.
Check him over really well for lice/mites, make sure his crop is emptying overnight (you will have to physically feel this in the morning before he's had anything to eat/drink).

90F is pretty warm, make sure he's getting shade and cool water to drink.

So, I had been giving them a puddle in the afternoon, to cool their feet off in. He was fine yesterday until he drank the dirty, poopy water, then he was stumbling around again. I'm going to try not giving them the puddle today and see if he acts normal. They have plenty of shade in their run, and their water stays cool all day. I'll feel his crop this morning, if I can catch him! Thank you so much for all your help!!

So, I had been giving them a puddle in the afternoon, to cool their feet off in. He was fine yesterday until he drank the dirty, poopy water, then he was stumbling around again. I'm going to try not giving them the puddle today and see if he acts normal. They have plenty of shade in their run, and their water stays cool all day. I'll feel his crop this morning, if I can catch him! Thank you so much for all your help!!
There you go.
Eliminate the puddle. If you want to provide them with something to stand in, then give them a large shallow pan, but wash and clean it daily (maybe more).

Is this puddle in the run or is it in an area where it's possibly been contaminated by oils that have spilled (from machinery/vehicles), maybe where weed killer, etc. has been used?

You may need to wait until he's roosting to grab him so you can look him over really well. Check the bottom of the feet too. It's strange that he's the only one stumbling after drinking from the puddle - no other birds are affected?

I didn't give them their puddle yesterday, and he was normal all day!! Instead, I gave them some cold water in a rubber bowl, which they drink from, but don't really like to stand in, so it stays cleaner. The puddle was just in a corner of their run, where I'm certain no contamination is, besides poop. His feet are normal; no limping. Last year, I remember one of my EE hens acting the same way, but I didn't give them a puddle until last week. She's returned to normal now, and so are all the other hens.

I didn't give them their puddle yesterday, and he was normal all day!! Instead, I gave them some cold water in a rubber bowl, which they drink from, but don't really like to stand in, so it stays cleaner. The puddle was just in a corner of their run, where I'm certain no contamination is, besides poop. His feet are normal; no limping. Last year, I remember one of my EE hens acting the same way, but I didn't give them a puddle until last week. She's returned to normal now, and so are all the other hens.
Sounds like things are better!
I would probably fill in that area so no more water accumulates there.
It's strange though that he's the only one that was having issues.

Water accumulating there isn't a problem, as we've gotten about one inch of rain so far this year. It was just my own bad judgement, putting dirty water in there for them to possibly drink. If it happens again, I'll post it on here, and hopefully I can get a video. Thank you for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom