Rooster walking funny

Water accumulating there isn't a problem, as we've gotten about one inch of rain so far this year. It was just my own bad judgement, putting dirty water in there for them to possibly drink. If it happens again, I'll post it on here, and hopefully I can get a video. Thank you for all your help!
Your Welcome!

Please do get try to get a video if it happens again and let me know. You can tag me or just add it to this thread, I'll get an alert.

Hope everything continues to go well:)

He's walking funny again. :( It's not the puddle of water, because I haven't given it to them recently. I know he has lice, because all the chickens do now, and I figure he passed it on to them. Everyone else is fine, and it hasn't been that hot either. Could it be the food? I give them all layer pellets, and I've read that those are bad for roosters to eat all the time. I just switched over to an all-flock feed, so maybe that'll help him. Poor guy. He just loses his balance. He'll reach back to groom himself, and almost fall over backwards. I will get a video of it and try to post it on here, but I'm not allowed to have YouTube, so I'll see what I can do. Tagging you in case you don't get the notification. @Wyorp Rock.

He's walking funny again. :( It's not the puddle of water, because I haven't given it to them recently. I know he has lice, because all the chickens do now, and I figure he passed it on to them. Everyone else is fine, and it hasn't been that hot either. Could it be the food? I give them all layer pellets, and I've read that those are bad for roosters to eat all the time. I just switched over to an all-flock feed, so maybe that'll help him. Poor guy. He just loses his balance. He'll reach back to groom himself, and almost fall over backwards. I will get a video of it and try to post it on here, but I'm not allowed to have YouTube, so I'll see what I can do. Tagging you in case you don't get the notification. @Wyorp Rock.
He's digging at himself to try to get at the lice or mites and he's losing his balance.

Treat the whole flock with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Clean out the coop, bedding and all, treat it too. Do this in 7 day intervals.

He's handsome!

He's digging at himself to try to get at the lice or mites and he's losing his balance.

Treat the whole flock with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Clean out the coop, bedding and all, treat it too. Do this in 7 day intervals.

He's handsome!
I've been treating them once a week, with permethrin dust. He probably gets the least amount of it, though, as he does not like me touching him, even when he's on the roost. You just mean treat them every week, not clean out the coop every week, right?

Thank you! He's pure blue Ameraucana; we bought him off Craigslist. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he's where the lice came from, as he's the only outside chicken we've ever brought in.

Treat the birds every 7 days and the coop too. Make sure you're getting the dust worked down to the skin and not just on top of the feathers.

Have you looked at his oil gland to see if it's irritated?

He may have brought them in, but lice/mites can just seem to find poultry too, so hard to know where they came from.
Hopefully you can get them under control.

Treat the birds every 7 days and the coop too. Make sure you're getting the dust worked down to the skin and not just on top of the feathers.

Have you looked at his oil gland to see if it's irritated?

He may have brought them in, but lice/mites can just seem to find poultry too, so hard to know where they came from.
Hopefully you can get them under control.
I just treated them all Wednesday night, and I treated him last night as well, making sure to get the dust on his skin. His oil gland feels fine (it was dark), and he didn't mind me touching it.

I'll clean out the coop ASAP, but it may be a little while, as it's a big job. Thank you so much for all your help!

Back
Top Bottom