Rooster walks on claws

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by taprock, Mar 22, 2012.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

My Welsummer roo has claws that point down so he can not walk on his toes. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I'm assuming the only thing is to cull him but wanted to check and get some opinions.
    [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Why not trim the claws?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't think trimming would solve the issue with the boy the way his toes are angled. It is almost like the guy has too short of tendons in his toes. If you tried to trim them so his toes touched, you'd most certainly hit the bone/blood in those nails. They seem pretty well worn down as is from walking on them.

I'd cull him if you didn't need him for anything and he's just an extra. As for a pet, don't think his funky toes would be much of an issue.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I have seen him, he walks with a funny stride - kind of kicks his legs out in front of him

5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I was kinda thinking the tendon thing but don't know chicken anatomy. When you pick him up his and take the pressure off his feet his toes go down and nails come up. But I had never seen anything like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by