Rooster was attacked leaking swollen eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mandymae1984, Dec 9, 2013.

1. mandymae1984

mandymae1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2013
    Rooster was missing for two days when i found him attacked. Hes in alot of pain. Head is bloody and swollen. His eyes are both swollen shut. One is dry and crusty yellowish stuff on it the other is open but just a white film with wet white and clear fluid leaking non stop. I have put neo sporin on the sores not the eyes. Im not sure if he can see. Hes not eating or drinking right now either. Help! We dont have another rooster so i know it wasnt a rooster fight

2. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    Its not posting my photos

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry about your rooster. Clean his eyes with saline solution and go ahead and put the neosporin in both of them. Many times after several days, the eyes will reappear and be fine when all the swelling goes down. He could be blind in one or both eyes, or have lost an eye, but sometimes it is hard to tell for a week or so. Clean his wounds with weak betadine and reaplly the neopsorin daily. He could be in shock or have a head injury, so keep him inside and warm. He may need some electrolytes in his water for a couple of days. Since he can't see now you will need to help him eat and drink. Bribe him with eggs, tuna, dry cat food or other high protein foods besides his normal feed. Watch for signs of infection--pus or foul smell in wounds. He might need an antibiotic.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You have to have at least 10 posts to post photos. Just start posting away on some other threads.

5. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    Ok! Thanks so much! I did get him to drink some water from a bottle cap lid. He drank a pretty good amount so that made me feel better. I will get some saline in the morning. I have put him inside which he seems to like better but i think if i were him i would too its cold here now! :) thanks for the advice! I will keep you posted on how hes doing!

6. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

7. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    [​IMG]

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, he's looks pretty miserable right now. Maybe a raccoon or possum got hold of his head. Hopefully, his eyes are intact. If there are puncture wounds, there is more likely a chance he will have an abcess which could show up as early as now, 3 days after the attack. Keep his wounds clean, and you may have to hurt him a little doing that. If you can get an antibiotic for him such as amoxicillin or keflex from your vet it might help. Good luck.

9. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    He seems to feel better since he drank water and ate some yogurt. He pretty much lets me clean and doctor the wounds without any problems as of now.

10. mandymae1984

Dec 9, 2013
    Still not sure about the eyes one is shut completely and the other is running fluid and he blinks it but just a white film

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by