Rooster was destined for Freezer camp, but winning me over, pic #16

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by patman75, Jan 17, 2010.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bought two young chickens to add to my flock this summer and 1 turned out to be a Roo. I really thought I had no reason for a roo and was not interested in getting woken up early in the morning or annoying the neighbors. However I having a change of heart.

Last week the speckled sussex pullet that the Roo grew up with got hurt and almost died. You can read about that here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=283485

After
    one week by himself (while the other young pullet was in the basement on the mend) he started to take control of the other 4 girls, I noticed he was not hiding or running from them and actually saw him mating with one of the older girls that he always ran from. The older girls are not going after him anymore.

So one week after my pullet almost died I had to add her back in with the older girls again. I thought for sure it was going to be ugly with the pecking, but this time it wasn’t. The Roo came right to her and started showing off by ruffling his feathers and clucking to her, he went into a nest box and prepped a nest for her while clucking and cooing the whole time, we walked with her out in the run and kept himself between the older girls and his young pullet buddy and showed her where the scratch was that I threw on the ground. Then I found them later on the roost together.

Did I mention he does not crow!? I think he is trying but it is very pathetic, my hen's egg song is much louder.

I can’t find a reason to eat this guy now.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, I love my roosters! You should keep the boy. Seems like a winner.

3. ancona91

ancona91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    Ellenville
    Hello!!!
    I'm so glad it worked out so well for your pullet.......and the rooster!! He definitely sounds like a "keeper" to me!! I really love all the roosters anyway.....I currently have 25 of them. Not a mean one in the bunch.
    Kathy in NY

4. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    [​IMG] How cute! He's a keeper... I love my boys - they can be so cute! So, where are the pics of lover boy??!!

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    You should keep him, I ADORE my rooster! [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

So glad to hear you are going to keep your rooster buddy! [​IMG]

7. GlitterKitty

GlitterKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Aww! What a sweet story! And yes I would keep him too [​IMG]

8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I will have to get a new picture of him, he is all feathered out now and looks very handsome. All I have are pictures when he was younger about 2.5 months ago.

[​IMG]

Here he is with a picture of his Speckled Sussex pullet when they were young.

[​IMG]

9. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i love my roos! i just moved (2) 4.5 mo olds out to the coop with my 12 girls and 1 other banty roo. and so far no issues trying to integrate them. but the breeds i chose are mostly friendly ones. i'm sure my main roo will teach the younger ones how to mind their manners and keep their vocal cords in check after some time. my girls come running when he starts making a fuss over food or if they get to far away from him. i've seen him direct my girls to the perfect laying spots when they can't decide. he is also crate trained to go in at night so he doesn't crow too early in the mornings or during the nights.

i have a 4th roo who is my pet and soo loving and cuddly, but unfortunately he does not get along with other chickens. he has yet to harm one but will peck harshly at them to show he is dominant. he follows me around and will fly to me and my shoulder like he's a parrot. he's not a constant crower and is actually trained to not crow till i come to feed him in the mornings.

10. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    He sounds like a very sweet rooster and I'm glad you are going to be able to keep him. Is there some way to keep roosters from crowing early in the morning or during the night? My neighbors would be very unhappy if they heard a lot of crowing from my yard, so I've always thought there was no way I could have a rooster here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by