Rooster Was Sitting on Egg - Is This Common?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blackhens, Dec 8, 2011.

1. blackhens

blackhens New Egg

Dec 1, 2011
    I went to my chicken coop at dusk yesterday to check for eggs and shut the chickens in for the night. My black orp roo was sitting on an egg (I know roo's don't lay eggs, he, he!) Is this common behavior? Also when I went to get the egg, he pecked me, and I swatted him away.[​IMG]

2. Beth K.

Beth K. Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    The Funny Farm
    Well, I've heard that capons can make good surrogate "mothers" but a broody rooster?

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive never seen mine sit on an egg but when the chicks hatched he would stay in with the babies while momma went outside to eat and poo. I thought that was so sweet. He was clucking to them showing them food and water. Maybe he was showing his girls that this was a good nest. I've seen my boy make a nest for a new pullet.

4. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Roosters have all kinds of behaviors I've been noticing. I've never seen mine sit on an egg but I have seen them prepare a nest box for a waiting hen. I wouldn't dought they would sit on an egg for a little bit. Or he was just resting in the box that an egg happened to be in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by