rooster watch

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curlylocks, Sep 8, 2007.

1. curlylocks

curlylocks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    southern maryland
    My rooster who just started crow needs a watch, cuz he starts crowing at dusk and continues till sunset!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Only Hollywood roosters crow just at dawn, LOL. Mine crow starting about 5:30 or 6 a.m. and do it throughout the day at various intervals, egged on by distant crowing of other roosters in the area.

3. Mom2Daisy

Mom2Daisy New Egg

Aug 29, 2007
    My roosters are sleepy heads! I'm out feeding them by 5:30 and the neighbor's roos are crowing on either side of us and mine are all still snoozing. LOL Just like my human child, I have to wake them for breakfast too! LOL

4. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Our two roos start crowing when the sun just starts THINKING about showing its face at about 4:30 AM, and crow throughout the day until it gets dark. Sometimes one will crow, and then the other, and it'll be back and forth like that for 5 or 10 minutes. We call it the crowing wars. [​IMG]

5. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have you all beat, mine starts sometimes at 3:30am in the pitch black of night. I have no idea why except to think that he is an early riser. Pretty soon we will be closing the windows as it gets colder which I am ready for. Both actually, the colder weather and not to have to hear him crowing in the dark.

6. chickenworld

chickenworld Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    All of you beat me!! My guys haven't even started crowing yet. I'm so mad at them!!:mad:

7. curlylocks

curlylocks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2007
    southern maryland
    i swear he's taught the hen how to crow! anyone ever have a crowing hen?

8. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Mine must be night owls. [​IMG] I was up at 1:30 the other night and heard an EE crowing in the playhouse. I looked in the BR coop and, though no one was crowing, they were walking around on the roost and watching me. The same with the bantys. What happeded to chickens entering zombieland around dark and sleeping soundly till at least 3am?

9. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    One of mine was crowing at 2:57 this a.m.
    Woke me right up. :thun
    I'm so glad they don't make a habit of it.

10. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    i swear he's taught the hen how to crow! anyone ever have a crowing hen?

I'll post up Big Red one more time. She crows every morning (follows the roo's lead). She lacks volume and isn't pitch perfect, but she's pretty good. She never crows in the evening. She didn't start crowing until she was over a year old. She has only laid a very few eggs, and none of those have been quite right.

Big Red (note the spur)
    [​IMG]

This is what passes for an egg from the Big Red girl (hummingbird added for scale):
    [​IMG]

Spotted Crow had a true hermaphrodite (I think Big Red is just confused).

Oh, they don't start to get tuned up until about 04:45 (love that baby monitor next to my head...).​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by