rooster went after our daughter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marilyn15, Jun 23, 2011.

1. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Hello,
    Wanted some advice...
    Yesterday we were letting our flock free range. We only do that when we are going to be outside with them or home at all times because all the problems we have had with predators. Anyway, myself, my husband our 10 year old son and 2 1/2 year old daughter were outside. OUr daughter went running by the chickens (1 rooster about a year and a half old) and 14 hens. When she ran by he jumped up and tried to spur her back, scared the crap out of me! Luckily he only got her with one of his claws through her t-shirt so it was not so bad, but really scared her. And this is a child that is not afraid of anything. Keep in mind we do not let her torment, handle or bother the chickens and is only allowed to pet them if we hold them.
    I know our rooster Romeo was just protecting her flock, but he has never come at any of us before. Any ideas or commments would be appreciated? I hate to get rid of him because I think it is important to have a rooster. Plus my son would be devasted because we hatched him last year. Any thoughts would be thankful.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

What I would advise is just to keep a watchful eye out now. Being that she's so little, and she was running, she probably startled him. I wonder if you can talk to your little girl and let her know she has to be "slow and careful" around the chickens, especially the rooster. My granddaughter is a year and three months old, and I know that's too early, but I would think you could have a little talk with her and she might understand, since she's nearly 3.

But I'm also scared for her.....Some roosters do get really mean. I've had a few I had to re-home because of this. Finally, I have a rooster that I really like, who keep a respectable distance and minds his manners. I just think of how little your daughter is and that damage could be done to her face or eyes.....

My advice is to just really stress to her that she can't run and needs to be "slow and quiet" around the chickens. And really , really watch that rooster when she's outside.....Maybe it was just a one time thing......[​IMG] One little tip is to make sure she's not wearing a shirt or clothes that are a shade of red or pink when she's outside with the chickens. A rooster in particular is really threatened by that color and feel he needs to attack the wearer. (Happened to me once when I was wearing a red shirt!)

OH my, just be super super careful if you want to keep him.....I would definitely either keep him caged (when she is outside) or get rid of him if he tries it again......

Good luck to you!
    Sharon

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  3. sixinva

sixinva Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    I held on to my aggressive rooster because he was really beautiful, loved his crowing, and he protected his 5 hens really well. But he was way too aggressive, and eventually would go after anyone. Anytime you were around the flock you had to have a 3rd eye out for him. He was rough with the girls (hens) too. It got to where it was stressful to be around them, go in the run to feed them, etc etc. The exact opposite reason why I got chickens in the first place. We werent enjoying them anymore. My wife wouldnt go near them, always worried a neighbor kid might stroll by........So it was bye bye rooster. What a change. We now enjoy being around the chickens again. The hens are very nice again, come around, very talkative, and so very different now that they arent being bred every 10 minutes by some overzealous rooster....(sounds like i still dont like him!!) Anyway, if you even think there is a chance that he could go after her again, or anyone, get rid of him. It isnt worth it if he hurts someone. And you will enjoy your gals much more.

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I agree completely with Chicmom. No red clothes and remind her every time you go out no running around the chickens. If it happens again, either lock him up while you are out or get rid of him.

Also try holding him more and letting her pet him.

Watch carefully.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd get rid of him-even though I know that doesn't sound like an option for you. You shouldn't have to worry every time you are outside. There are ways said to 'reform' roosters (standing your ground, threatening his status in front of the hens, etc), none of which has worked for me. Perhaps someone will chime in giving ways to do that. It's worth a few good tries.

A few years ago, I hatched my first chick ever. I loved him from the start and he was a very sweet baby. I can still remeber the little black cheeper he was when he hatched. But he grew to be a demon. One day my brother (5 at the time) was playing outside. Welp, Dash saw him as a threat worth dealing with and spurred him in the back. My brother was utterly freaking out. My parents' decision was a tough one (one I did not agree with at the time) but we could not keep him. My parents wanted all of us to feel safe in our own backyard. Then, I was furious and irritated that there was nothing I could do about it. But now I see that it needed to be done, at least in my case. And now instead of the visious rooster, we have a friendly, just as watchful, sweet adult rooster in charge instead.

Protecting the hens or not, this is your call.

6. Roooisin

Roooisin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    i had a rooster who was very gentle and calm and one day he chased my sister.. we didn't believe her at first but then he did it to me several times and even to my dad.. people say there are ways of discipling them but he kept going for me. i never tormented him or scared him but i was so scared in the end that it was just easier to get rid of him. my dad was so sad to see him go but he had to, we couldn't leave our little cousins out to feed the chickens any more and he even tried attacking me inside their pen so i refused to collect the eggs. i am so much happier now and we can let our little cousins who are 2 and 3 go down and feed the hens again.. my roo was one and a half years old too when he started this behaviour. i'm not trying to scare you but just be careful around him and try not to turn your back on him. maybe if he is like our roo, who kept attacking me, it might be best to give him away.. good luck. [​IMG]

P.S. i completely agree with Chicmom, be careful you don't wear red around the roo.. the first day i got chased was the day i happened to be wearing a red top and jacket.. [​IMG]

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have a White rock rooster that was aggressive in the beginning and he would square off with you.But I gave him a lesson in who was the boss,just by giving him a little kick not hard enough to hurt but enough to get the point across. I also keep a switching stick around and give him a little swat on the back to remind him,similar to what chickens to to keep the order in the flock. He would more apt to take on my son and I told him how to handle it by facing off with him and not turn your back. So now he is a good boy,he doesnt give me any trouble and he is ok even being petted,something you could never do.

I know your daughter is young and suspect you would be out there with her,so if you see him looking like or tries to be aggressive give him a swat on the back. Eventually he will get the point. Its rooster behavior trying to be dominant so you just got to show him who is the ruler.

I know some people wont agree with they way I handled it but it payed off for my rooster. To say it will work with yours,it might and might not. Every bird is different and react in their own way,much like a dog or any animal or even humans for that matter. i firmly believe in giving an animal every chance before giving up on them.

8. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Its a rooster! You can't replace eyes and facial scars last a lifetime..get rid of the Roo

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Normally I recommend that people learn how to haze an aggressive rooster. It involves speed-walking after the rooster for an extended time. Think about how you would feel if a black SUV followed you while you were trying to get away from it.

However, since a small child is involved, I am more inclined to cull or rehome the rooster.

10. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    I agree with all of the above posters.. but will come at it from another angle. Being a teacher (4th grade so I know 10-year old boys well) I feel like your son might resent your daughter IF you have to rehome your rooster. All of the logic in the world often goes over the head of a child with a beloved pet... I might "set the stage" for this possibility and give him some say in the situation (now I KNOW that some people might not agree with that statement and that's okay).... lay out several options. He can choose the new home, he can possibly get a small incubator and try to hatch out some chicks (get my eggs.. guaranteed to be roosters.. [​IMG]), or possibly go to a swap or meet-up of local chicken lovers that can offer some replacements.

But the bottom line is that you should not keep a rooster that is agressive. Too many things could happen in a split second. There are too many nice roosters needing a chance to be a wonderful flock leader and people pleaser.

My two cents worth

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by