Rooster went after our little girl...

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
Soooo I have never, ever let my RIR rooster out to free-range. Yesterday though, I HAD to let ALL of my Leghorns/RIRs out because their pen was flooded so bad. I actually had an older chick drown in the mud. I also had to get the juvies out and put them in the (empty) chick brooder because theirs was flooded as well. (thanks to the 30+ inches of rain we've gotten over the last few weeks...) Anyway our girls were outside playing and I told them to stay on the porch. We were working on the new chicken barn/house/coop and our 2 year old came down and we didn't know it. I heard her screaming and I immediately new it was the rooster, and I yelled at my husband- the rooster the rooster! So he ran over to her, sure enough he was jumping up at her, and knocked her over. He kicked him really hard, I took her inside to clean her up (she was okay, thank God) and when I came back my husband had killed the rooster.
sad.png
I am kind of upset... I mean, I am VERY mad that he went after my daughter, and I don't want a mean rooster, but that was my only RIR rooster and my only standard roo that I have right now. I have read that RIRs can be aggressive. Is this true for all roosters? The only other roos I have right now are Silkies and OEGBs, and I have an Ameraucana roo but he doesn't even crow or mate with the hens so I don't know what's up with him... and I have a "teenage" Ex. Leghorn roo. Should I be worried about them?
Sorry this ended up being so long!

Last edited:
Long time ago when my daughter (now 17) was about 2 she was out sitting on the walk playing in the dirt and our rooster ran across the yard and jumped her, he was in the pot the next day as well. It is sad but when you have little ones you just have to know those roosters can put an eye out or cause a scar that never goes away. You can find a nice rooster, maybe without the RIR the other will step up to the plate, but stay well behaved at the same time.

I think your husband did the right thing. You do not need that liability on your property with small children. When I was a child we couldn't be in the yard playing when our RIR roo was out, he would do the same as the one you had. You can always replace your rooster, but think of the damage it could and probably did do to your daughter. NO chicken is worth that. She is probably going to fear chickens for a while and that experience is going to stick with her. I know people who are 50 years old and still will not go near chickens because of bad experiences when they were small children. I am sure if you check around you can find a replacement RIR roo, go to Craigslist, there are always some on there and you may find someone who has too many and would love to get rid of one. Good luck. Hug your daughter and then another to your husband for loving her so much.

I agree I don't want a roo like that, either, but, I had planned on making a "bachelor pad" for my roosters, one that you cannot walk into. Again, this was the first time he had ever been out of the pen, and it was because it was flooded.
I don't buy chickens from other people- only hatching eggs.
I actually have 8 sons from him, but they are from a cross with Leghorn hens. 2 of them are beautiful, a mix of white and red feathers. I plan to keep one of them. They are about 2 or 3 months old now.
Also, she is actually not scared at all of the chickens.

RIR roosters are often very aggressive, they kind of go to either extreme. They either are really aggressive or are really not. Luckily ours is really not
smile.png

Not all roosters are aggressive, but many will 'try' it. Some breeds are worse than others. If you have one that shows signs of aggression you need to put him in his place early on.
If your ameraucana was in the same pen as the RIR roo, that could be why he's not mating or crowing. How old is he? Being with an older roo will sometimes 'delay' the younger ones.

RIR roos are notorious for their aggressiveness. I could tell you lots of stories of growing up around those critters.
To answer your question; No not all roos are that way but if they have RIR blood you will have to watch out for them too.
We bred all our hens , of different breeds, to RIR roo last spring and we had an aggressive bunch of chicks! Many of the "mutt" roos were untrustworthy like their daddies.
I have a Barred Rock roo now and He is a real sweetie! He's a keeper.
love.gif

we have 4 RIR roos.. they were all aggressive till hubby started grabbing them and carrying them around and we petted and petted them.. they love to be petted now and if they peck it is a little tiny love bit.. no marks no pain.. it took a bit of patience .. about 15 times each.. now when i let them out the run back up the ramp and wait till i give them a scruff under the chest/tummy area then off they go..they will attack my grandson 4 but when they come over if i hold my grandson tight and shoo them away they get the idea he is part of us and leave him alone..also if he gives them a snack they love him to death lol..we do this everytime he comes over. i think they forget him he is only around 2 times a month but so far so good. one thing i notice if you run they chase you

Quote:
You have to remember though that a 4 year old boy isn't much bigger than a RIR rooster, so that's why they would go after him more. Then again, I have an OEGB rooster that goes after my 4 year old, and he (the roo) doesn't even come up to my son's knees!
gig.gif
The little roo has delusions of grandeur I guess
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom