Rooster? What breed?

stubbornhill

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Shapleigh, Maine
I would appreciate any suggestions. I purchased 10 chicks when they were 1 week old. They are 6-7 weeks old now. The lady that I purchased them from had taken orders and then apparently purchased from a hatchery. When we went to pick them out, there were some marked with blue on the front of them. She said that they were roosters as some people had ordered them, they were all Speckled Sussex and that I could chose any of them with the exception of the ones with the blue. So I proceeded to pick my ten and there were some that had solid color heads instead of the "chipmunk stripe". I thought, hey why not get a couple that look a little different? So I did. Solid brown heads. Other than that, they looked the same. As they have been growing, the two "different" ones have no white on them what so ever. The Sussex have white on thier heads and chest along with the speckles on their bodies. The Sussex have pick legs, where as the "different" ones have yellow/brown legs. The one that I am thinking is a rooster has a much more pronounced comb and wattles forming, along with thicker more yellow legs even incomparrison to the other different one.

Does anyone have any idea what these two may be? And am I correct in my thoughts that one of these in fact is a rooster? I will keep them either way. I have secretly wanted a rooster for a long time and my husband said no. (he,he,he...I will be allowed to keep this if it is)
wink.png

The picture of the two chicks on the roost is the "different" one that I believe is a poullet, but thought it gave a good comparrison in thier coloring.

I look forward to your comments. Y'all have a blessed day and thank you!

86163_rooster1.jpg

86163_2_chicks_roosting.jpg

86163_chicks1.jpg

86163_roosters_feathers1.jpg

Thanks Domestic_Goddess! Do you think that one of them is a cockeral? I will check out Patridge Rocks to see what they look like fully grown. I am not familiar with them.

I have some partridge Rocks and I think in the third picture the second from the left may be a rooster. Its hard to tell right now but the comb seems to be more pink then the other one. When they get bigger you'll definately see the difference, Partridge roosters are pretty!

Thanks Rocky Road! Yes, that is the one that I think is a roo. He is the one in the first pic. There is a big difference in his leg size and color along with a big difference in his comb size and color comparred to the other one that is like him. I have done some research on them since Domestic_goddess mentioned Partridge Rocks this morning. They are pretty!
clap.gif
I would be very happy to have a couple of them and especially a roo! Of course that kind of messes up my plan for breeding my Sussex. I don't have the room, desire or money to make separate quaters for two different breeds of chickens. But that's ok. I'll live with it. I hope that this is what they are. Thanks for your help. Be blessed!

Back
Top Bottom