Rooster Wheezing Hens have Diarreah

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Risen242, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Risen242

Risen242 New Egg

Jan 20, 2017
    My rooster hasn't been able to crow in a few days now. I don't see any noticeable signs of a sickness. No diarrhea, Crown looks normal. It almost sounds like he is wheezing. He is walking around wit his mouth open and ever once in a while tries to crow and almost sounds like a squeak. I also have to hens that have diarrhea not sure if it is related but seemed to happen around the same time.
    I don't really have the ability to separate them with our setup.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome To BYC[​IMG]

Can you post some photos or a video of your rooster, then hen and the poop?
    How old are they?
    How long have you had them?
    What type of food/treats do you feed?
    Any symptoms of coughing, sneezing, runny eyes/mucous from nose?
    Have you added any new chickens to your flock within the last 30days?

Is the "squeak" a sneeze or a cough? If he is walking around with his mouth open, have you looked inside to make sure there is no obstruction (food/debris) lodged in his throat?

Is your rooster able to drink water or eat?

It's hard to know what is going on, he could have something stuck or have some type of respiratory illness. Encourage him to drink, but if he's having trouble breathing, don't force it. Staying hydrated is first, then offer food.

For the diarrhea this can be a number of things as well. From eating high water content foods to illness. Watch your hen to make sure she is drinking well also and make note of any other symptoms you see.

Keep us posted.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It might be the start of a respiratory problem or disease, or due to the conditions right now, Look at excessive moisture, mold, or dust in the coop. Wet moldy conditions can lead to fungal infections such as aspergillosis. As Wyorp Rock pointed out, look for watery/foamy eyes, nasal drainage, sneezing, or wheezing. Sometimes when mucus or a foreign object (such as a large piece of food) can cause something called stridor, which may go away after the throat is clear.Here is a list of common poultry diseases with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Risen242

Risen242 New Egg

Jan 20, 2017
    update:
    I gave him 1/2 mL of Tylan 50. He seems to be getting worse, but I just gave him the shot. Any clue on when I should see some positive change. Here is a video before the Tylan.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh no, his face and comb look very cyanotic or blue. That can be indicative of a failing heart or respiratory failure. Certain worms can sometimes cause breathing problems as well. I would try to get him seen by a vet if possible.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by