Rooster who will not crow??

I recently sold a rooster to a woman who had only hens. She wanted a rooster to watch over her flock and that would not beat them up or bully them. Her hens are about a year old. The rooster I sold her is also about a year old. She recently emailed me to ask why I thought the rooster I gave her will not crow. He was crowing when he was here. He was not the head rooster here but I would say he was second in command and he crowed regularly with the head roo. I do not understand why he would quit crowing. She also said that the so called chicken guy at the local feed store told her that if there is a hen above him in the pecking order then he will not crow. Is that true? What do I tell her? She wants the rooster to crow. I am thinking I may offer her a trade for a equal rooster that I know is crowing all the time here, but if I can help her fix this problem she has I would like to do that first. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have never heard of a rooster not crowing when he is the only rooster. And he is the only rooster she has. Was the feed store guy right? Thanks for all your help.

I can't say if the feed store guy was right, but I would guess that the rooster just needs some time to settle in and establish his place in the flock. How recently was he sold? I'd give him several weeks, at least,

I can't say if the feed store guy was right, but I would guess that the rooster just needs some time to settle in and establish his place in the flock. How recently was he sold? I'd give him several weeks, at least,

Take ALL hens out of the coop for a couple days and then put them back in then it will be HIS coop and not hers

Thanks for the info. I do not think she has another coop to put the girls up in for a few nights. The treat thing may work. She bought him from me about December or November? I know she has had him for at least 2 months now. Just not sure what to tell her. I would gladly switch him with another, but I think I would like to get to the bottom of this not crowing business. I will tell her the treat thing and see if she could possibly move them out of the coop but I really doubt the coop move will go over so well. : (

Sometimes a single rooster with his own harem doesn't crow much. The last four roosters I've had as flock masters didn't feel the need to crow much more than the early dawn announcement and then no more. The last one would crow on very rare occasions during the day~if I was out there I would make him stop~ but usually just a series right before daybreak. The current rooster I have I've only heard one time in the couple of months he's been here...no morning crowing at all. Just the one time and first time, just the other day.

Four different breeds, low or no crowing. I attribute it to low flock stress, good social structure and no competition within hearing. No roosters for miles around here, so no need to assert oneself.

Who in the world WANTS a rooster crowing all the time? That would drive me batty!
th.gif

We had a large Rhode Island Cockerel who had the most beautiful VELVETY crow - it was a pleasure to listen to and he didn't crow a massive amount.

However we took him to a local show (he won first prize) and it all must have been very stressful for him because when we took him home he did not crow for over a week.

It is a possibility that your 'old cockerel' is stressed and is missing his girls, he may be being bullied by the top hen but I cannot see that happening personally - not to say that it is impossible.

The new owner should be careful for what she wishes because he may start crowing and never stop!!!!!!

I don't buy the "lower on the pecking order" thing...my young cockerels, who are way below my mature hens, crow their everlovin' heads off.

Can't say why this bird isn't crowing....maybe she's hard of hearing or just sleeps through it
big_smile.png
? Maybe she should ask her neighbors!

I've never heard of anybody complaining because a rooster WASN"T crowing. Tell her to enjoy it while she can. He'll start to crow when he settles into his new place.

I don't buy the pecking order thing either. I have a rooster that's the top dog with 24 hens and he rarely crows. Then I have a pen with 16 roosters that have their pecking order established but they all crow constantly during the day.

Back
Top Bottom