Rooster with a dirty butt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Mar 5, 2013.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Just as the title says, my rooster had a dirty rear end. I say had because I brought him inside and washed and blow dried him. Anyway, he had a bowel movement while he was in the tub and it was pretty much water with a little fecal matter in it. All of my hens rear ends are spankey clean, as is his now. I'm just not sure what to do if the problem should reoccur. I've never wormed them (they're not quite a year old, but close). His eyes are bright and clear, as are his nostrils. His feathers are shiny. He doesn't feel light (well, he does but he's a bantam Silkie :) ). So, his only issue is an icky behind, and not fertilizing my eggs which I'm guessing is a by product if the poopy feathers. I've not even seen him attempt to mount any of the girls for a while, but he's very active otherwise. If you all do recommend worming, I've got Wazine. Ideally I'd like to separate and just worm him, but I'm not sure of the dosage. The directions on the bottle are for 100 birds, I've got 6 total and as stated would like to just worm him if that may be the issue. For now I'm waiting to see if his feathers stay clean, if they don't I'll take the next step. Any thoughts?
    Nikki

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    An update, even though no one replied :/
    Its been a couple of days and my roosters behind is still clean, so I'm guessing he just soiled his fluffy feathers and it kept building up. Since he clean I think I'll just leave him be.
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by