Rooster with a "Gimpy" leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickennnnnman, Jul 28, 2010.

1. chickennnnnman

chickennnnnman New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Lufkin
    Howdy Everyone,

New member here and first time posting so bear with me....My folks had chickens as I was growing up but more or less took them for granted. Bought 15 baby chicks from TS in March of this year and we got our first egg on July 10. Having a ball watching chicken television...which brings me to my reality show.

I have 11 pullets and too roos. Two of the hens and one roo are bantams...(Buff laced Sebring pullet,buff chochin pullet and white cochin roo)....full sized 5 white leghorn pullets, 4 red link pullets and Mr. Handsome RIR roo.....have noticed RIR roo walking with a limp and yesterday we had to have a "prayer meeting" in the run as he took exception to me being in there. I caught him up and carried him around for bit and while doing so took a close look at his leg.....There are no cuts but his left leg appears to almosts bloodshot ....I'm talking about the scaley part of his leg. I will try and post a pic to this once I can determine how to do so but was wandering in the meantime if anyone else had dealt with anything like this or similiar??? He evidently is experiencing some pain with it as he turned down one of the pullets yesterday when she squatted in front of him. [​IMG]

Thanks for any input. Have enjoyed visiting the site on a daily basis and have picked up some good info including ideas on building my coop and run.

2. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    "gimpy" legs in chickens is not totally uncommon. It could be from twisting it wrong, a predator, flying into something. Any number of reasons why your rooster is having the problems. There is probably not much you can do for it.

3. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Oh and Welcome to BYC. I hope you find answers for all of your poultry questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by