Rooster with a purple comb and red legs!

10AcreChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Missouri
I have a 26 week old Buff Orpington Rooster. He is HUGE. He stands probably a hand taller then the hens and the Barred Rock rooster. He is just massive. But he has a huge comb (and wattles) and the back part of the comb is VERY purple. Also, since about 14 weeks, his legs have been very red. So red that I thought he was bleeding, but it's IN his legs! Otherwise, he is a very calm rooster, nice to the hens and the humans alike. LOL his crow is hilarious, ends like a turkey's call, so I call him Turk.

I need to decide what to do with him. First off, what can be the problem? Heart disease? Is his body too big for his heart to support? I would like to carry his size to the next generation (which would only be used for butchering next summer/fall), but not sure that is wise? But then again, those cockerels and hens would ONLY be for meat, not for producing further generations.

What do ya'll think?

Pictures can always help. Roosters who are healthy and breeding age can have reddened legs, especially ones with white or light colored legs. Larger combed roosters may have darkening toward the back end of their combs at times.

59972_sam_0581_-_copy.jpg

photo by LupinLaneChickens

I will post a picture tonight. I did notice the other day that his comb was red again and his legs pink. Then, last night, his comb was purple and his legs red again!

Here are some pictures of darkening of the comb in large combed roosters. I have noticed this in a few that I have had over the years.The color can change throughout the day, and can depend on the outside temperature as well. In the last picture, there could have been some past frostbite that has also affected the color.
rooster-comb.jpg
9908717.jpg

roostercomb.jpg

photo by LegginMF12

Last edited:
I think those red legs are just an indication that his hormones are flowing! I have a huge barred Cochin cockeral who's feet look on fire each morning and he chases his pullets around the yard doing the rooster dance. Poor guy hit maturity long before his girlfriends! They seem to return to their normal pinky/yellow colour after a while. I don't believe you have a lot to worry about.

I think those red legs are just an indication that his hormones are flowing! I have a huge barred Cochin cockeral who's feet look on fire each morning and he chases his pullets around the yard doing the rooster dance. Poor guy hit maturity long before his girlfriends! They seem to return to their normal pinky/yellow colour after a while. I don't believe you have a lot to worry about.
I have a BO too and mine does the same thing. Personally I think that their combs are so big and thick that it's hard to keep proper blood flow to the back of their combs cause their so big. When he's really active it gets redder but if hes not it does darken.

I agree. Hormones make the cockerels legs red. I saw it most notably in two of my welsummer boys and their legs were red and yellow when they hit adolescence. As others have said, if the comb is large it may not always get a good enough supply of blood to keep it all bright.

Back
Top Bottom