Rooster with a sore throat???

Nov 15, 2019
Green Mountain NC
Good morning BYC people thank you for accepting me into the community I live in a small town in Western NC called Green Mountain (originally from Brooklyn NY). I have a small mountain farm 2 crazy donkeys 2 large dogs and now 9 chickens 8 polish and I white silkie named Zsa Zsa. My chickens are just pets I guess you could say. This morning I woke up to a weird sound it was my rooster Nelson sounding not Soo good he was I guess attempting to crow but not much was coming out. He's usually Very vocal , I compare it to a human losing their voice although I've had chickens here for over a year on still new and learning every day. As I am with my donkeys ( Huck and Finn) it has gotten cold here quickly went from 65 one day to single digits the next night I have the chickens in an enclosure with a coop inside . The coop is wrapped in plastic to keep out drafts not completely so to give them air and prevent moisture. The enclosure is covered from the roof down halfway (it's and 8x10) to keep the rain and snow out . They usually run free during the day . What could be wrong with Nelson ? Thank you for taking the time to read my post I look forward to being a part of this community Kevin

I don't know what is wrong with him, but as soon as you find out, sell it. SELL SELL SELL !!! everyone'll want some of it. :lau

If he is still trying then it may be a good sign, may be a minor thing. If it was major, I would think he'd not feel himself. I hope he will be OK, ..............(or dinner if it's yummy:drool) oh no, did I say that out loud by accident ?

Screenshot_20191115-182912_Chrome.jpg

Dude, you really need to check your wheather, what breed is your cook, southern breed will definitely die if the temperature drop any further.
I never had any winter here, so i cant help any further, but byc have some article about it, just search it.

View attachment 1959383
Dude, you really need to check your wheather, what breed is your cook, southern breed will definitely die if the temperature drop any further.
I never had any winter here, so i cant help any further, but byc have some article about it, just search it.
No, she was in NY but now in NC..if I read right...but..hey..you have no winter where you live? Thanks for rubbing it in! Lol

I'd start by catching him, and doing an examination. When you pick him up, does he feel a bit light, like he's lost weight? Check him down by the feather shafts, especially around the vent area. Are there signs of mites/lice? Now look at his comb, and wattles. Are they pale, or normal color? Was his crop empty this morning? Does it feel full, hard, doughey? Are his droppings looking normal?

Back
Top Bottom