Rooster with a Swollen Eye

StarLightFarms

Chirping
Feb 23, 2022
Noticed my roosters left eye was swollen last night. Today it was completely shut. It was hard the get a good look but some yellow discharge in the one corner. It also looks swollen above/around the eye. Just wondering what it could be, what to look for etc. Mostly want to make sure its nothing contagious. I've never dealt with an eye issues before. First picture was from last night, two other from this afternoon. The other eye is completely normal.

Noticed my roosters left eye was swollen last night. Today it was completely shut. It was hard the get a good look but some yellow discharge in the one corner. It also looks swollen above/around the eye. Just wondering what it could be, what to look for etc. Mostly want to make sure its nothing contagious. I've never dealt with an eye issues before. First picture was from last night, two other from this afternoon. The other eye is completely normal.
Pics will help people!

I don’t see any pictures. Certain respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) or coryza can causes swelling of the eyelids, face, and drainage. A peck to the eyelid, or getting something in the eye causing infection could also be the cause. If there is puss around the eye, try to get it out. Cleaning the eye with saline eye wash, and applying Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice daily may help. If it is MG, tylan or tylosin may be helpful.

I was having trouble getting the pictures to post. The last picture is from tonight. His eye is more open now I could see tiny yellowish mites/bugs crawling around his eye. I thought it was puss but then it started moving and I got a better look.

Attachments

• 20220628_212018.jpg
    20220628_212018.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220629_133510.jpg
    20220629_133510.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220629_133518.jpg
    20220629_133518.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220629_213306.jpg
    20220629_213306.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 9
I was having trouble getting the pictures to post. The last picture is from tonight. His eye is more open now I could see tiny yellowish mites/bugs crawling around his eye. I thought it was puss but then it started moving and I got a better look.
Poor fellow. Can u bring him to the vet?

Poor fellow. Can u bring him to the vet?
Treated the coop, him and the rest of the flock for lice. His eye started looking better. It seemed it was mostly irritated from him scratching. I cleaned around it and applied some antibiotic ointment. His eye seems back to normal. So hopefully that's all it was!

Back
Top Bottom