Rooster with a white eye

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have a rooster that seems to have gotten something wrong with one of its eyes. It doesn't look like an injury nor does it look infected, but there is a white layer on part of the eye, the white part is covering the left side of the eye, while the right side looks normal. I doubt he can be seeing very well on it, if at all. It is hard to get a photo because this is the most scared of all our birds (the rest are very tame). I'm not sure if I'm describing it very well, but the most important is of course if it can be something infectious. There is absolutely no puss, it almost looks like an inner eyelid that moves from side to side instead of up and down, but it is solid white.

I saw in another post now that chicken puss can look hard and white, so maybe it's puss after all. So now I'm wondering what to do... It is almost easier to put him down than to treat him because he absolutely panics if I try to pick him up and I doubt I'd be able to do much for him. Is it possible to leave it and see how it develops? It isn't like a hard white clump though, it seems to move a bit in there, like a layer. Not swollen at all. It first showed today.

Could a saline solution help? Might be able to drip it into his eye while he's roosting.

Can you get a picture? It sounds like the nictating membrane (chickens have a third eyelid) is covering the eye most likely due to some for of irritation or infection. Terramycin is an antibiotic optical ointment that's is great for treating irritations and infections.

Can you get a picture? It sounds like the nictating membrane (chickens have a third eyelid) is covering the eye most likely due to some for of irritation or infection. Terramycin is an antibiotic optical ointment that's is great for treating irritations and infections.

Is it possible that it can heal on its own? I don't mean to be be uncaring towards the bird, but for one, he's super scared of humans for some reason, and two, he is one rooster too many and the only reason he's alive is because he's so scared and because he doesn't mate with the hens or cause any trouble.

How long has it been like this? It's ability to heal on its own really depends on what's going on with the eye. If you plan to not treat I would butcher the moment there appears to be any progression with any infections or possible injuries and not let him suffer longer then necessary.

How long has it been like this? It's ability to heal on its own really depends on what's going on with the eye. If you plan to not treat I would butcher the moment there appears to be any progression with any infections or possible injuries and not let him suffer longer then necessary.

Just today. I wouldn't let him suffer. Thing is just that he was next on the list to go so I'm not sure it's worth treating. I've just put off taking him out because I feel so bad for him when he's so scared!

I went out to try to get a photo because he's roosting (I'm in Norway so night here already). He got annoyed with me for trying to angle his head the right way into the light, and shook his head and the white stuff came flying out! It was a blob the size of a pea. His eye looks perfectly normal now. If the puss (assuming it's that) is gone, will he be okay now or is it likely to come back? I'll keep an eye on it of course, but does saline solution serve any purpose with chickens? I could put something on it preventative, but I'm honestly not sure how chicken eyes works.

Back
Top Bottom