Rooster with an attitude. Is it a serious problem?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cupman, Jun 14, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    my 9 week old barred rock rooster has been a bit aggressive lately. He seems to chase and peck a bird once or twice but then he stops.. but shortly after he runs and does it to another one. It's never more than a peck or two but they are getting scared when he does it. I really like my rooster and want to keep him but if he's going to start injuring the girls he's got to go. Why can't he be a good rooster and protect them! Is this a serious problem or is it kind of normal? They get about 8.5 square feet per bird, which is a teeny bit less than the recommended but I really don't think crowding is a problem, as they are still not full grown yet.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    LOL.....he is just a baby! They learn by playing and that is some of it along with chest bumping and staring each other down! Running and trying to fly and knocking eveyone over.

At 18 weeks they are getting close to full grown but not in their size yet. My roosters were 9 months old before they really got their size.

Start reading up on rooster behavior.....it is all over this site.

[​IMG]

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Oh good that's a relief. I just let them out of their coop and they've kind of learned the routine.. it's pretty cute watching them spill out of the coop in a single file line and then circle their feeder. It was just making me nervous cause I've lost a couple birds already to illnesses and one to a predator.. really didn't want to have to lose another.

4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    They are so much fun to watch. Your rooster will get more aggressive as he gets older and wants to protect his girls. I believe it to be their nature. You just have to be smarter than them and not put yourself in a position to be attacked. It does not matter that you have handled them or fed them or have been their friend. They live to protect, procreate and show the girls their treats. Oh, and crow.

If you have kids the chicks are getting close to the age where the kids should not be allowed in the runs with the chicks. And really, type in rooster behavior in the search and start reading about roosters if you are going to keep one. Their behaviors are in their DNA.

My DH differs in his opinion on how they should act. He says they are just chickens. I say they act how they act for a reason. I never go into the run without my piece of tin. Something to block the rooster if I should need it. I don't want to not like him and if he hurts me I won't like him and he will be Rooster and Dumplings. Actually I am watching the garage sales for a tennis racket and will use that instead of my piece of tin. My DH will kick the rooster. I don't like it but can't stop him......so I try to beat him into the coop and runs in the morning.

My grandgirls have not been allowed in the runs for a long time. As long as there is a rooster in there they can't go in.

Read all you can and you will enjoy your chickens!

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Quote:there are nice roosters and mean roosters. If your rooster tries to flog you don't make the mistake of giving him a second chance. (I did and my 2 year old was attacked) My husbands grandma has 2-3 roosters and they are the sweetest things and around children all the time.

I really don't agree that all roosters are mean. Some have been bred to be mean- stay away from game type roosters they can be really mean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by